Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.AVI Playback Problem

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hey guys,
I've got some .avi videos in my computer. They're generally around 300MB. Downloaded from the Internet actually. I've encountered this problem but I think only with big .avi videos.
When I play them, the sound gradually lose sync with the picture. Sometimes it's pretty up to beat, sometimes it's worse. Usually the sound is faster than the picture, when it gets worse the sound just spoils the story cos you sort of know what's happening before you see it.
Its' really annoying and I know someone else must've encountered this problem before. I know the video itself should be fine cos when I skip/fastforward it, the sound at the next point is actually pretty in sync, then from that point on it gradually loses sync again.
Oh btw, I've tried to play the video with Windows Media Player 10 and Media Player Classic 6.4.8.4. Both got the same result.
Please someone help.
Cheers

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi chinofeliz!

What are the spec's of your computer? Processor speed & memory mainly.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Fenor,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Below is the capture from my Nero InfoTool about my system. Tell me what more info do you need. When I signed up with Geeks to Go, I filled out a form with all my system info, I hope others can see it as well?
Cheers[attachment=4248:attachment]

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try download VLC Media Player and see if you still have the same problem. When you go to the page, you will see a link for VLC MEDIA PLAYER up at the top of the page.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Fenor,
I'm downloading it right now. But it does sound like something exactly like Media Player Classic (multiple codecs etc.) Is there no way I could change the settings to solve my problem?
Thank you :tazz:

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Impressive, so far the sound and vision is in sync. Though the picture is not as smooth as before. Guess the picture has to quickly follow the sound. Is it just becos of my video card? I don't know what it is (and how to check it) but one of my mates tried to play Grand Theft Auto and Tomb Raider on the computer and he couldn't.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you updated your chipset, sound or video drivers in awhile?

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
To be honest I haven't mainly becos I don't know how to? Could you tell me how to check their specs now so you could have a quick look at them to find out how to update them? I know the existing video card driver company (3dfx Voodoo3) quit providing updates ages ago. Thanx Fenor!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download, install and run Everest Home Edition and post (or attach) the log it creates.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
[attachment=4249:attachment]

Hi Fenor,
Although I chose the "Quick Report", it's still a bit long, hopefully it's not putting you in pain looking for the specs. Anyway, it's attached below.
Thanx a bunch!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can update your graphics card using the file downloaded from HERE. Once you have downloaded it, double-click on the file and then click OK to extract the files. Then right click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab and then the DEVICE MANAGER button. Click the '+' symbol next to DISPLAY ADAPTERS, then right click on your 3dfx Voodoo3 card listed and choose update driver. Select No, not at this time when asked if you want to connect to windows update and click NEXT. Then choose INSTALL FROM A LIST OR SPECIFIC LOCATION and click NEXT. Put a check in the box next to INCLUDE THIS LOCATION IN THE SEARCH, then click browse and locate the Guru3D.com\voodoo3 folder. Then click OK and then NEXT. It should then find the updated driver located there and will install it.

Once installed, you will need to use a 3dfx Tweaker Utility to modify the settings, which you can find HERE.

If you have any questions/concerns/etc.. please reply, otherwise let me know if it updates your 3d card driver succesfully and we will move on to other updates.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Next you will need to update your VIA chipset drivers, which can be found HERE. Just extract the exe somewhere on your hard drive and then double-click it to run it and the chipset drivers will be installed.

Fenor

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
When I clicked on the first link the new page comes up and at the lower part of the page it says "Sorry, this download link is expired". Could you tell me what the program name is that I need to download?

And Fenor to be honest I got a university essay due on Monday so could you tell me is this gonna be quite consuming and should I consider doing the whole thing after I get my research essay done?

Sincerely

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
The VIA chipset driver's just downloaded, could I install it first?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sure go ahead.

Fenor