Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player (.AVI Problem)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hey guys,
I've got some .avi videos in my computer. They're generally around 300MB. Downloaded from the Internet actually. I've encountered this problem but I think only with big .avi videos.
When I play them, the sound gradually lose sync with the picture. Sometimes it's pretty up to beat, sometimes it's worse. Usually the sound is faster than the picture, when it gets worse the sound just spoils the story cos you sort of know what's happening before you see it.
Its' really annoying and I know someone else must've encountered this problem before. I know the video itself should be fine cos when I skip/fastforward it, the sound at the next point is actually pretty in sync, then from that point on it gradually loses sync again.
Oh btw, I've tried to play the video with Windows Media Player 10 and Media Player Classic 6.4.8.4. Both got the same result. Is there some kind of settings in the player I could change to solve the problem?
Please someone help.
Cheers

Advertisements

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
it happens on my pc (pentium 2) as well with Windown Media PLayer

the files are pretty big and you may want to consider a different program; xvid player works really well i find

also may need codecs like the xvid one for .avi video files - (if the files are tv shows, this is most likely the problem

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hey aldaros23, thanx for your reply. Yeah it is a tv show actually :tazz: I'm trying this new software called VLC Media Player recommended by another user Fenor, it works fine so far but the only thing is the image is not as smooth as before, then again at least the pic and sound is in sync :|

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
thats the exact same one i got for my mac !! good choice it works perfectly on them

(i;m watching Lost epiosdes what about you?)

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
VLC Player is a great media player, but I also wanted to recommend the very small Media Player Classic. Has a nice small footprint and no install required. It is an open-source Sourceforge project, you can check it out at:

http://www.divx-dige...er_classic.html

Sourceforge page:
http://sourceforge.n...cts/guliverkli/

I use this as my primary media player and have been very happy. It also plays DVD's.

Cheers,
Tom

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I'm watching Charmed 8th season actually :tazz:) Cos here in New Zealand we're not getting it until next year and I can't wait :) hehe

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I am closing this thread as you are already being helped here

Please do not post duplicate threads