Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LSASRV.dll not found - (OS won't boot)

• Please log in to reply

Binka

Binka

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

Does anyone have any ideas? Windows XP home won't boot on my Dell laptop.

If i try and boot normally i get an error nessage that says "lsass.exe unable to locate component..........failed to start because LSASRV.dll not found...."

If i try and boot in safe mode i get a blue screen:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM corrupt or missing.

I can get into diagnostics on the dell recovery partition and have run tests on memory all pass ok. I have run diagnostics on the OS doesn't start option and the blue screen option. All tests have passed.

The only option i am given after the error message is to insert XP cd and select r. Dell no longer ship OS cd's with their computers. It's pre loaded onto the hard drive on a hidden partition. I can access this by selecting ctrl + f11 while booting.

My question is does anyone out there think this is virus related? Should i repair or re-install? These seem to be my only 2 options at this stage.

Any help would be appreciated as i would prefer not to have to re-install as i'm on a dial up connection and don't wan't to spend hours doing all the updates again.

thanks
Binka

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
A repair install will be sufficient. After the repair is complete then please do the steps lists HERE and then post a log in the Malware Forum to make sure everything is gone.

Fenor

Binka

Binka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for replying so quickly, Fenor. I'll give that a go.

One thing i forgot to mention:

The config corrupt or missing was not a blue screen. It was just a message after trying to start in normal mode.

The blue screen in safe mode was:

Problem caused by win32k.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

This is why i ran the memory diagnostics as all the bsod posts presume a memory problem.

Thanks again
Binka

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM corrupt or missing.

Your registry is corrupt, refer the following M$-KB article:
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;307545

Edited by darth_ash, 15 October 2005 - 06:30 AM.

cheatah

cheatah

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I have a very similar problem, only running on a homebuild desktop. Differences are:
* No Blue Screen on Safe Mode start, instead same LSASRV.dll warning.
* No option to insert Windows XP cd after error dialog.
* Running SP3
* On booting from Windows XP SP2 disk, same error occurs (no SP3 disk, downloaded from t'internet)

Some Background:
* I installed a fresh copy of COD 4 yesturday after the previous install didn't unistall properly.
* immediately afterwards, an error reading something along the lines of 'some windows files have been altered or replaced with unauthorised versions, please insert Windows XP SP3 disk' - it wouldn't accept my SP2 disk, and seeing that i had 10 updates decided to shut down the PC, let them install and call it a night. Today, the errors above occured.

Thanks in Advance.

*EDIT* if anyone has any ideas how i can approach this problem, or even what the initial problem may be then please help! (rubbish at actually asking for help)

Cheatah

Edited by cheatah, 11 June 2009 - 03:58 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
cheatah
Please, start your own topic.

Andy McDandy

Andy McDandy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To get rid of this error message, insert your XP CD and boot from it. At the first menu press R to enter the recovery console and once at the command prompt type the following:

CD C:\WINDWOS\SYSTEM32

EXPAND E:\I386\LSASRV.DL_

When asked if you wish to overwite, say yes. Now type EXIT to reboot the machine and windows should start-up just fine.

rr_rr

rr_rr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Andy Mcdandy,

WHen i tried your thing it said it was not found

pghal

pghal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just wanted to say thanks for an excellent solution from andy mcdandy, worked like a charm for me at least!

Abz2000

Abz2000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi rr_rr,
Yu may want to try d:\ instead of e:\ depending on where your optical drive is assigned, and be sure to use i386 rather than 1386
And Andy mcandy - May God reward you with good - you saved me having to re-install, THANK YOU :D
Peace,
Abz

swwhit

swwhit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Andy - your simple and straightforward solution worked perfectly and saved our bacon - my gal works from home on her own PC and had this problem. You the man! :thumbsup:

NancyM217

NancyM217

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I had the exact issue for which this topic was started.

On a Toshiba laptop: If i try and boot normally i get an error nessage that says "lsass.exe unable to locate component..........failed to start because LSASRV.dll not found...."

1. The Toshiba recovery disk did not work (only gave me options to restore to factory settings or wipe the hard drive).
Had to use one from another computer.
2. I found I had to type the command TWICE:

EXPAND E:\I386\LSASRV.DL_
The first time it just said "expanded", the second time it overwrote.

After getting into Windows, got a gazillion errors, so did a system restore. Running better after that
I am currently running anti-malware and system diagnostics on it.

Edited by NancyM217, 21 November 2012 - 02:12 PM.