Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gigabyte BIOS problems

• Please log in to reply

stix4jah

stix4jah

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I was into my BIOS for the first time today, trying to adjust some basic settings and now the BIOS isn't showing my hard drive. At first I changed the keyboard options, letting me boot the system using the keyboard, then I enabled the CPU overheating warning as well as the CPU fan failure warning. I tried to start the system after that and got the CPU fan warning. The fan works but the BIOS was missing that for some reason. I went back into my BIOS and reset all settings to default and rebooted. Upon reboot the system comes to a screen that reads "Boot from CD...." funny thing is, the BIOS default is set to boot from CD last. I went back in just to make sure this was the case and noticed a lack of any mention of my hard drive anywhere in the BIOS menus. When booting now, the BIOS scans for drives and only finds my CD drive.
After all this I booted from my XP disk and went into the set up menu...and it found the hard disk! I'm thinking that for some reason my BIOS just isn't seeing my Hard drive (which by the way is SATA-2), I just don't know why this problem would be occuring. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
The first thing to try is clearing the BIOS. To do this, earth yourself, turn off power to the computer at the wall socket and remove the on-board battery for a couple of minutes.

When you reboot, everything should be reset to BIOS defaults, meaning you will have to change a few values (start by loading optimised defaults). If this doesn't work post back with your motherboard model and BIOS version.

stix4jah

stix4jah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I actually called my computer dealer and the tech walked me through a fix. I don't know what caused the initial problem but when I reset the BIOS settings to default the system started looking for a RAID set up on boot...and I've only got one hard drive. I just had to go into my BIOS and disable RAID. Thanks for the help anyways though