Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speaker problem

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi everyone,

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. If not, feel free to move this wherever it should be.

I upgraded my computer from Windows 98 to Windows ME about a month ago. Around the same time, I've noticed that there was a lot of bass/distortion from my speakers. A song that should sound clear and crisp gets distorted, especially if I turn up the volume. It seems like the only way to avoid this is to play the volume very low, at almost inaudible. I've tried fiddling around with the volume control in my taskbar and with my speaker volume to no avail. Is there any way to improve my sound? I don't know if this is related to the upgrade to ME or not, but it started happening around the same time.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Kevin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hopefully the soundcard drivers don't like ME (yet) and need to be upgraded to work with the new OS

Download Everest Home Edition here

Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable driver for your Operating System

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you so much, Keith!

Might be too soon to tell, but I followed your instructions and downloaded a driver from C-Media 3 Audio. Now I've got a new icon in my system tray and the sound is much better. I'm turning up the volume and it's not getting fuzzy or distorted. I think you may have fixed it. So thanks again. :tazz:

-Kevin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know