Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Says CPU fan not working, but is?

• Please log in to reply

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok... (I'm using my mom's computer now) :tazz:

When i go to boot up my computer, an alarm comes on (but not all the time) that says CPU FAN NOT WORKING! Shut down now? Y= yes n = no ... or something to that effect.

so.. I had a friend come down to look at it. At first, it didn't work... he said a wire was touching it or something (he took it apart).

He went to reboot... and it worked fine. We shut it down and turned it back on again, and the alarm went off again. So he replaced the fan.

Booted up, worked fine. Went to turn it on yesterday, alarm came on. so I took apart the computer. It worked yesterday fine after that.

I go to boot it up this morning, alarm goes off.... again. So... I took the computer apart (well just the case and the power supply box that's blocking whether the fan is running or not... well my view anyway)

I boot up the computer... CPU fan IS running... but the alarm goes off saying it's not. I shut down... and try once more... fan still runs... but the alarm goes off yet again.

What in the heck is going on??? And, is it safe to run my computer and boot up when it says CPU FAN NOT RUNNING, SHUT DOWN NOW? as long as the fan is indeed working? If it's safe to run like it is... I'd like to know, and if possible any solutions as to why it's doing that and how to fix it???

Thanks a ton!!!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi FallenAngel!

You can can physically see that the fan is running even when the alarm is going off, I suggest you go into the bios and disable the fan alarm. I don't know exactly where it is, but I know there is an option to disable it.

Fenor

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
So it's ok then? Any reason why it would be doing this?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Something faulty on the motherboard is my guess because it's doing the same exact thing with two different fans.

I would also check the temperature of the computer while windows is running. Use the link in my signature to download Motherboard Monitor.

Fenor

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Wow you do respond quick lol.

So the motherboard monitor will let me know if the temp is getting dangerous or something? What's the optimal operating temp... or would that say whether it's safe or not? I just can't afford to have the motherboard go up and replace that at this point... so I want to make sure everything is safe. Between my medical problems, and my brakes goinng out on my car, I'm fairly broke at the moment lol.

Thanks!!!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Around 30-40C is optimal, 40-50C is safe, anything close to 60C and you're talking damage to the CPU and board itself.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

So the motherboard monitor will let me know if the temp is getting dangerous or something?

When motherboard monitor is installed, your CPU and SYSTEM temperatures will be displayed next to your clock on the bottom right of your screen in the systray.

Fenor

*Edit* -- And YES motherboard monitor has built in alarms when temp reaches too high a level.

Edited by Fenor, 15 October 2005 - 07:55 AM.

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
So I can run it now and it'll be fine?

Will the motherboard monitor let me know when the temp is getting dangerous and to shut down or something?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
You posted that right before I posted lol.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Install motherboard monitor on it as soon as you get to the desktop. Then post in here what the temps are for the CPU and SYSTEM.

Fenor

Advertisements

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have no clue what kind of motherboard I have... I'm waiting for my friend who built the computer to call me back and let me know... (it's asking me what motherboard and revision I have)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download and run everest home edition from my signature and let it run a scan of your system and that should tell you the motherboard you have.

You can also open up the side of the case (the panel on the left side if you are looking at the front of it), and you should see the motherboard model number either between the PCI slots at the bottom or by the slots where the memory goes. The text size for the motherboard model # is bigger in size then anything else and will stand out.

Fenor

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well the Everest scan froze my computer... so I had to reboot and finish installing Motherboard monitor... and when i did it didn't ask me to put in the type of motherboard.

It's running... but it's showing the temps at 0C???

I looked at the larger print on the motherboard and (didn't see what BRAND) but it said K7T266 Pro2 VER: 2.0

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
MSI is the maker of your motherboard.

Fenor

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic-CPU FAN – [RPM Error]
Date – 15th Oct-2005

Just a note on [PC Monitors] -

If you are running more than 1 at a given time - You will get these type of [Error Messages] - The [Temps] & [Fan Speeds] - Readings - are AVERAGED -

Running multiple [Monitor Application] will dork these readings -

Check [Task Manager] to see what is running -

Notes on CPU Fan -

The CPU Fan has 3 Wires - [V+] [V-] [RPM] - These wires are routed under Fan Assembly - and the [RPM] Wire - probably the white wire - may be shorted/pinched under the Fan & Heat Sink Assembly - Or the [CPU Fan Connector] may not be correctly/securely connected to [Motherboard Fan Connector]

I know you said that you replaced CPU Fan - and that Fan Wiring is part of the Fan Assembly - [And that should have fixed it] -

Try - very [SLIGHTLY] pulling on [CPU Fan Connector] to see if you can induce this failure -

Also verify that it connected to [CPU Fan] Connector & not [CHASSIS Fan] Connector - They generally are near each other -

Also verify that black wire is aligned with with [GND] marking on Motherboard -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 15 October 2005 - 02:50 PM.