Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network

• Please log in to reply

stealth

stealth

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've got a few computers on my wireless network, we can all go on the web play agaist each other on games over lan, but we are unable to share a printer, find each other over the network, send files to each over the network or view the sharded files on the other computers, I have tried everything i can think of, but in Itunes we can see each computer and listen to music via that from a different computer.

HAve no idea why, any help would be great thanks :) :tazz:

Advertisements

rfire2k

rfire2k

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
what os are you using? is ur file and printer sharing is turn on??

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
also check workgroup name and IP Subnet add - all should be the same

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello stealth and welcome to Geeks to Go, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correctly setting up your File and Print Share Home Network.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File and Print Share network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?

6) What firewalls do you have running?

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?

8) What is the model and manufacturer of all the printers you are wanting to Share?

9) Do you have the original installation disk for each and every printer you are wanting to share?

10) Do you have the ability to write to a blank Floppy (not a prerequisite just makes the setup a little easier)

11) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File and Print Share Ability for your network?

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-11 THOROUGHLY, TO HELP ME BETTER PROVIDE
YOU WITH A WALKTHROUGH ON HOW TO SETUP YOUR FILE AND PRINT SHARE
NETWORK

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
ITunes has been known to screw up the IP addresses when using a LAN port, because it overrides the system's settings with its own.

Therefore to see if this is causing the problem, uninstall ITunes.

stealth

stealth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File and Print Share network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?
Windows Xp SP2 on all and most have the latest updates within the last month.

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?
Network router is a Conexant model sorry don't know which one, and the two laptops are using a MSI card while i'm using a D-Link Air DWL-122 Wireless USB Adapter.

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

Says above

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)
Static

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?
All Nortan 2005

6) What firewalls do you have running?
Just the windows XP one

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?
We have Nortan Anti-Spam, I have and one of the two laptops have firefox the other IE

8) What is the model and manufacturer of all the printers you are wanting to Share?
The one printer is a HP DeskJet 840c

9) Do you have the original installation disk for each and every printer you are wanting to share?
Yep somewhere in the house

10) Do you have the ability to write to a blank Floppy (not a prerequisite just makes the setup a little easier)
Yer sure

11) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File and Print Share Ability for your network?
[color=#000099]Done everything i can find on the web, put them in the same network groups,taken us off the network and back on......too many to remember sorry.

And it did this before Itunes was installed;

Thanks

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Welcome back Stealth,

Complete these Network Setup Steps (1-25) ON EVERY PC THAT IS TO BE CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK.

1. Double click My Computer icon
2. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
3. Under "Network Tasks" select the "Set up a home or small office network" link
4. When the Network setup wizard appears click "Next"
5. When the second page appears click "Next"
6. When the third Page appears select the "Other" bubble and click "Next"
7. When the fourth page appears select the bubble "This computer connects directly or through a network Hub. Other computer on my network also connect to the internet directly or through a hub."
8. When the fifth page appears under "Computer description" type in XP PRO, Computer name XP PRO and click "next"
9. When the sixth Page appears under "workgroupe name" type in: namegroup - insert your last name in the namegroup and click "next"
10. When the seventh page appears select the "Turn on File and Print Sharing" Bubble and click "next".
11. When the warning comes up asking if your sure you want to turn on file and print sharing just select "yes".

*NOTE* If you do not want to create a self install disk for additional PC's skip the following steps and proceed to Step 11a through 11c at the end of this page.

12. When the seveth page appears click "Next".
13. When the eigth page appears under "What do you want to Do?" Select the "Create a Network Setup Disk" bubble and click "next".
14. When the ninth page appears select the "Format Disk" Button
15. When the format 3 1/2 Floppy (A:) screen appears just click "start"

*NOTE* If you get a warning that says formatting will erase all data - this means it will erase all data on the floppy disc - not on your hard drive

16. When it is done select "ok" then hit the "x" to close out the format screen... this takes you back to page nine and select "next".
17. Now you will a screen that shows files being copied... just wait till its done and you will be automatically sent to screen 10. Just click on "next".
18. When the eleventh page appears just click "finish".
19. Now restart your machine
20. Now go to the next computer and complete the Following

Additional Pc Setup
21. Insert the disk in the A drive
22. Double click the "my computer" icon
23. Select open network setup disk
24. double click "netsetup"
25. If the PC is unable to read the disk then just repeat steps 1-11 and include the following steps (11a-11c) after steps 1-11 have been completed:

11a. When the next page appears select the bubble for "Just finish the wizard" and click on "Next"
11b. When the next screen appears just select "Finish"
11c. Now reboot your PC

-------------AFTER ALL THESE STEPS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED-------------

...Go back to the first computer and double click on the "my computer" icon
...Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
...Under "Network Tasks" on the left pane select the "View workgroup computers"
...After clicking on this you will get a list of all the computers in your network. If the additional computers you added are not showing up then reply back and we will find out what is blocking your file share (usually a third party vendor firewall, Antivirus program, or security software).