Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Freezes on "setup is starting windows"

• Please log in to reply

oneref

oneref

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK I all, it seems that my descrition did not come through. I have changed motherboards loading up xp home sp 2 (oem) and it freezes at the "setup is loading windows" screen. (Blue with "windows setup" at the top and "setup is loading windows" at the bottom. I have tried different hardrives with same result. I'm sure it's something very simple and not seeing it. Appreciate any help.

xp home sp2 oem
amd 1800+
Asus a7s8x-mx
256 2100
kb mse and monitor

Thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could be something with your bios. Set it to default values and try installing again. There can be a number of reasons for your problem starting with faulty (new) board, a faulty cpu that exhibits its faultiness only upon setup etc. But lets start with the easy part.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Why did you switch motherboards to begin with? Was there a problem with it? We're you just upgrading your computer and there were no problems with the old motherboard? Please be more specific about what you did or what was occurring BEFORE you switched the motherboard out for a different one.

Fenor

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey VA & Fenor. Yeah tried the default again or a 3 time. New motherboard and a used 1800+ ath from another unit I quit useing. Talked with asus tech and he went straight to the cpu temp and it was 65 C/ 147 F then said that's the problem. Thinking about getting another cpu/fan to see if that will correct it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That is certainly a high temperature but I doubt, if stable at this level, if this is your problem. If the cpu is compatible with the board, the fan is spinning freely and the fins of the heatsink not blocked by dust why replace the fan? I assume that before installing the heatsink on the cpu you applied a thin (very thin) layer of thermal paste between the two. Too much paste can give you opposite results.

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes I think it is I tried another fan, then changed out that motherboard with a different combo biostar/2800 ath xp and the same memory and it's going through the process now. That xp 1800+ last a long time so I have no complaints. Deem this one the with a bad cpu. Oh yeah everything was clean and secure. Thanks for your input it gave me good direction.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you get a new heatsink/fan combo make sure you get some good thermal paste, I recommend Artic Silver. It works great, lowered the temp of my CPU by 12 degrees on it's own and 23 degrees when used in conjunction with a new heatsink/fan combo.

Fenor

NeedHelpBadlyPlease

NeedHelpBadlyPlease

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey man I had the same problem, after prowling Google for over an hour I found the solution. Don't worry this actually works and you don't have to replace anything on your laptop. After booting from CD it does the initial blue screen and says if you need to boot anything else press F6, at this point just press F5 a few times and it will pause then a screen will say do you want to boot from this computer setting. Pick the first one Standard something or another and it will continue on its way. No more stalling. Of course I still haven't fixed my main problem yet, but hope this helps you out!