Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BF2 Crashes To Desktop

• Please log in to reply

HellFire8084

HellFire8084

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I know this is a common problem. Every time i try to play, a black screen comes up and then it goes back to the desktop. I've checked the minimum requirments and this i think is my problem. : Display Memory 64.0 and i need 128.0. How can i make my display memory higher? Or is this not the problem. Any help ASAP is greatly appreciated!

:tazz:

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
yeah, if your memory is less than the recommended, it may well be why you're having problems.

buy a new graphics card with 128mb of memory or more

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
not just any 128 mb card will work.

has to have 1.4 shaders or above.

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
ATI Radeon 8500 or greater

Dont ever get the lowest card required because it will still be choppy.

Edited by jrm20, 15 October 2005 - 05:43 PM.

HellFire8084

HellFire8084

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok. Thank You very much! :) :tazz:

klambaked420

klambaked420

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had the same problems but I fixed it. Try doing the method below and you will be playing in no time. From my understanding the problem is with EA Download Manager. You have to fool your comp into playing bf2 from a disk rather from EA Download Manager. The link below will show you how.

http://www.realitymo...top-issues.html

Bryan_Jovi

Bryan_Jovi

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
my PC specs:
Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T5750
ATI HD 3450
RAM 3 GB
Memory 200GB

Play it with High Resolution
WITH NO CRASHES AND LAG AT ALL

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Good evening, HellFire8084.

I had the same problems but I fixed it. Try doing the method below and you will be playing in no time. From my understanding the problem is with EA Download Manager. You have to fool your comp into playing bf2 from a disk rather from EA Download Manager. The link below will show you how.

May I ask what the EA Download Manager has to do with playing the game? The CD is required for the game to begin. Once the user finds a game they would like to join and they occupy a slot on the server, the maps and objects located on the hard disk (and selectively on the CD) are extracted. This is because the files are compressed to conserve disk space. The game does not download the map each time in order to play.

I also have a hard time believing that someone with specifications lower than the minimum requirements can even load the game. Battlefield 2 is pretty intensive on resources and will likely (1) Not install (2) Fail to load or(3) Case extreme system lag. I really don't think EA Games was joking when they posted the requirements. My machine plays the game very well but still experiences mild chop on occasion.

If someone knows something I do not, please share it.

klambaked420

klambaked420

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Good evening, HellFire8084.

May I ask what the EA Download Manager has to do with playing the game? The CD is required for the game to begin. Once the user finds a game they would like to join and they occupy a slot on the server, the maps and objects located on the hard disk (and selectively on the CD) are extracted. This is because the files are compressed to conserve disk space. The game does not download the map each time in order to play.

I also have a hard time believing that someone with specifications lower than the minimum requirements can even load the game. Battlefield 2 is pretty intensive on resources and will likely (1) Not install (2) Fail to load or(3) Case extreme system lag. I really don't think EA Games was joking when they posted the requirements. My machine plays the game very well but still experiences mild chop on occasion.

If someone knows something I do not, please share it.

EA Download Manager is required to play the game for downloaded versions of BF2. It is also a big problem causing the users game to crash to desktop.

Aleysis

Aleysis

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello for some ungawdly reason I am unable ot play BF2, I go to load the game form my desk top, it loads the intro video, allows me to log in.. all that how ever if I click on settings-> audio it will crash to desk top.. if I avoid it.. and say go to join a server, or start my own server.. it will load from 0 - 100% just fine.. but when it reaches 100% it then goes to "Verifying Client Data" and flashes a black screen and crashes to desk top..

Ive been having this problem ever since I started Windows Vista.. I figured windows 7 would correct it.. but does the exact same thing.. only not as choppy as when I tried it on Vista. I read one forumn where you go to "my documents -> battlefield 2-> and modify the refresh rate in the .con file.. but doesnt work for me.. still does the exact same thing.. Can someone please help me with this.. I really enjoy the game.. and am great at it.. just wish I could play it again.. heck.. my specs are awsome.. but they arn't helping with the game crashing all the time.. Thanks everyone.

Corey,
[email protected]

here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64x
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe Mother Board
8 gigs of DDR2 800mhz ram
Geforce 9800 GTX Video Card (1 gig ram)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum card (w/front deck)
2 - Gateway 24" Monitors (Side by Side-Extended screen)
SATA 300gig/500gig Hard Drives