Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp sp2 freezes at "setup is starting windows"

• Please log in to reply

oneref

oneref

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK Hi all, I have changed motherboards loading up xp home sp 2 (oem) and it freezes at the "setup is loading windows" screen. (Blue with "windows setup" at the top and "setup is loading windows" at the bottom. I have tried different hardrives with same result. I'm sure it's something very simple and not seeing it. Appreciate any help.

xp home sp2 oem
amd 1800+
Asus a7s8x-mx
256 2100
kb mse and monitor

Thanks

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Bad RAM perhaps? Test it with a boot disk from http://www.memtest.org

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
XP and win2k don't like new motherboards. Too much new hardware to recognize. What you can do is try to run a repair using the installation CD, you have to set up to boot from the CD-ROM.

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Bad RAM perhaps? That was one of my problems the other was a bad cpu getting to hot and the motherboard shut it down after a few minutes. Wiped it clean and got MB/cpu combo and some different ram. Ha the only thing not new was the HDD and CD-rom. Thanks for the input.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Yes bad ram definatly will cause this so take Kurt's advice and run memtest from a boot floppy.

What psu do you have?

Did you clear the cmos and load bios defaults?

Rick

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah it was both. Cpu was running at 147f/64C (in that area) which froze the asus motherboard. Then after getting a new cpu/fan I got errors dropping dll files when copying files. Got the ram too. A little spike will do a lot of damage. Thanks for all your help people.

Blessings :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome, glad you got it fixed

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts