Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Installer Hangs

• Please log in to reply

Jerry O'Connor

Jerry O'Connor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Running Windows NT4 Server

I first noticed I had a problem when Symantec AntiVirus Corporate did not update from the Antivirus Server
I thought I could fix the problem by unloading and reloading the Antivirus but the Windows Installer dialog box came up and just hung.
Went to Windows Update downloaded what looked like a Outlook Express Service Pack, that did not install. I seem to remember the above downloading but not intstalling before.
Went to start Outlook, that hung
Was going to reinstall Office (Repair) but the Windows Installer came up and hung
Note: Cancel does not close the Installer dialog box, you have to use the task manager or reboot.
Tried Registry Mechanic, that found about 180 errors and fixed them, but the same problem exists with Windows Installer.
Downloaded the Windows installer redistributable from Microsoft, the Windows Installer comes up and hangs.
Downloaded the Windows Installer fix utility from Microsoft, but Windows Installer comes up and hangs.

The server is running fine, except that the AV does not update and I have lost the ability to install or remove software that uses Windows Installer.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First, before anything else, give your computer a thorough scan for malware if you haven't done so already. I hate Norton and removes it from computers whenever I can. I use AVG Free and consider it the best. Also run Ad-aware SE. Both programs are top class and free.

Second, it seems to me that the easiest solution to your problem is to run a repair installation of XP. At the top of this forum there are detailed instructions how to do this. Simple job.

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
If you suspect malware, post a HJT log in the malware forum. There's a link in my signature.