Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

MeghanKawa

MeghanKawa

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi there,
Last night I went out and I came home this morning to discover my computer displaying the screen which tells you that windows was not turned off properly and how would you like to start windows up. Its the screen that gives you options such as start in safe mode, start in window xp normally, etc...i have tried all of these different options and everytime I cannot get Windows to load, not even in Safe Mode. Everytime it tries and then it just ends up back the screen I started from. It's very frusterating. I do not have a windows xp cd available...what are my options? Can you help me?
Thanks,

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MeghanKawa...

What kind of computer is this (Make and Model)? Have you tried the "Last known good configuration" on the options screen you get to? (Some folks miss that one... :tazz: )

wannabe1

MeghanKawa

MeghanKawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, I found an XP installation Cd. Oddly enough, before doing anything I tried to run Windows one last time and now it has loaded. Regardless, I am sure there are some problems with my computer, and I am afraid of this happening again, could you give me any suggestions as to ways that I can check what's wrong with my computer?

Ps. I did try that option...nothing was working, I have no idea how it loaded up now

Thanks
Meg

MeghanKawa

MeghanKawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh yeah the computer is a compaq presario..model #5000CA
thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi MeghanKawa!

Since you have the XP cd now, I suggest you do the following:

Go to START-->RUN and type in cmd Then type in sfc /scannow <--Please note the space between sfc and /scannow.

You will be asked to put in your XP CD during this. This will check all windows files and make sure they are in their original format, replacing any that are not. Once the blue bar goes away, take out the XP CD and reboot your computer.

Once your computer is rebooted, put in your XP CD and then reboot your computer again. When the message comes up saying: press any key to boot from cd, press a key and windows setup will start. One the first screen that appears hit R to enter the Recovery Console. When asked which version of windows you want to login to, select 1 since that is the only version that will be listed. (If there is more then one, post in here and we will fix that.) Just hit enter when asked for the ADMINISTRATOR password because it is usually blank. Once at the C:\ prompt, type in the following:

chkdsk /p /r

This will check your hard drive for errors and fix any it finds. This will take awhile so be patient. Once it's done, type exit, take out the XP CD and let your computer reboot.

Fenor

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Oh yeah the computer is a compaq presario..model #5000CA
thanks

One of the worst computers ever made. If you Google

"presario 5000" +problem

you will get upwards of 30,000 link pages, the most I've found for any other model is around 1,000. I'm looking for a nonworking one just for the challenge of fixing it.

MeghanKawa

MeghanKawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ha, lucky me!
Well this one is a piece of garbage, so any suggestions on making it better would be wonderful. It seems like it's a never ending problem.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
How about trying what I typed in my previous post in this topic?

Fenor

MeghanKawa

MeghanKawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh I did. Thank you very much. It's working fine now :tazz: Seems a little slow, but maybe that's just the computer

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please take at look at this link and follow the steps for removing malware from your computer. If your computer is still slow after doing all the steps indicated, then please post a HiJackThis log in the Malware Forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to THIS thread and we will consider other options to help you solve your problem.

Fenor