Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp setup loop

• Please log in to reply

cap'n nard

cap'n nard

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm about to reinstall xp as I'm at my wits end. I booted safe mode to repair a trojan per Norton instructions and have been stuck in safemode boot since. The virus is gone, but I couldn't do anything but a safemode restart. I installed my xp os disc and booted from there. I went to the repair console and performed chkdsk /r hoping to fix the problem. After several tries, I tried the reinstall / repair route. This copied files and asked me to restart the computer. Now for the loop... after seeing the windows xp logo on black screen I get a blue screen that says "setup is being restarted." Then I get the black safemode 4 corner screen (no functionality) and eventually the error msg "setup cannot continue in safemode. setup will restart now." I can get to the setup menu and the boot menu (F2 & F12) at start up but that's it.

Anything left to try before I pull the trigger on the reinstall?

Thanks in advance...

Cappy

Edited by cap'n nard, 15 October 2005 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

If the above method works then you will also have restored the virus and you would need to let the Malware Team help you remove it

Please go here:

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

If the system restore did not change anything then try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried doing a COMPLETE install and not just a repair installation? By this I mean have you gone to the point in the XP installation where you delete the current partition, create a new partition and then format that new partition and THEN setup starts copying files to your computer?

Before doing that though, go back to the recovery console and this time type in chkdsk /p /r. This will do a much more thorough check of your hard drive and repair any errors that it finds on the hard drive.

Even though when you get to the recovery console, it might not have a version of windows showing to log into (meaning you'll go straight to the C:\ prompt) don't be alarmed since you are right now in the middle of an installation of windows and therefore don't have any complete version of windows installed.

Fenor

cap'n nard

cap'n nard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the posts. I've followed Keith's suggested restart but do not get a command prompt. I have the same result as before - a black safemode screen with the error msg "Setup cannot run in safemode." Is it possible to execute the recommended command from the recovery console?

For now I'll try the modified chkdsk per Fenor to see it gets me further. I've not done the complete install as I just wanted to fix the errors created during virus clean-up.

Edited by cap'n nard, 15 October 2005 - 02:49 PM.