Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer crashes on startup

• Please log in to reply

Haiper

Haiper

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This problem's really freaking me out. Every time I start my computer, whether normally or in safe mode,as soon as Windows opens I am immediately greeted with error messages about missing files including "chp.dll" and "birdihuy32.dll", and another about trying to start a dos-based program with dos not being available with my system. At this time explorer crashes completely. (I don't get a chance to run any programs or even browse anywhere) The only thing doable at that point is I can open the Task Manager, which lists explorer as not responding. Other curious things listed however are "Vxgame#" (# being a number 1-4), "Maxd1", "Vxh8jkdq2", "Efsdfgxg", and at one point "Split1". It's basically turned my computer into a useless vegetable. (Am using my mother's to post here) Does anyone know of some kind of boot disk I could use , or some other way to run any programs to help solve this? Thanks a lot.

I know this is some kind of malware/spyware problem, but with not being to run any programs I cannot create any logs so I wasn't sure if I could post this in that forum.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Haiper...Welcome to G2G!

Let's try a couple of things. First, once booted, can you access the startup menu using the Windows Start key (located between the Ctrl and Alt keys)? If yes, choose Run and type scanreg /restore (Note the space before the /). You will be presented with five files you can restore to...select one of these files using the Arrow keys and press "Enter".

Let me know if this works for you...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 October 2005 - 01:06 PM.

Haiper

Haiper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, after choosing Run and typing in "scanreg /restore" it gave me a message saying that my system didn't have the memory needed to run the program. After a moment or two it prompts me with another message telling me the system is dangerously low in resources and Explorer needs to be shut down. Afterwards the computer froze like it has before. Thanks for the suggestion, but I couldn't get it to work. :tazz: