Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

heatsink and fan

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have an intel P4 3.0 gigahertz processor... I think its 800mb fsb and 1gb cache with hyperthreading technology... I have a 4 pin power supply and am looking to find a better heatsink and fan since my standard one is reading about 45 degrees celcius while idle

What brands are good and what specs (aluminum vs copper fan size etc) are best.

Also what are normal CPU temps for stock cooling and no case fans

Advertisements

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
what kind is it does it have a prescot core cuz those run a lil hotter. like mine with a decent HSF runs about 40 idle and about 49 midload i wont full load it cuz itll go pretty high.

Lion

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
im not really sure i cant find the box it came in i took the side panel off and have a small fan blowing from the back of the cabinet its in and at idle its about 44 (lowest I got was 42) and case temp is 36. I ordered 2 case fans since mine stopped working and will see if that keeps the temp low when they arrive. but is 44 C normal idle?

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
if its a prescott yea thats ok...Do u know the threshold(when ur pc would turn off cuz of processor heat) but yea u def need case fans they will drop the temp considerable. Like my case temp is like 30 C with 3 case fans but yea def get those case fans but if u knew ezactly what kind of processor u have it would be easier to tell u if 44 C was an ok idle.

Lion