Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow booting

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi

How about you do a few of the Tweaks in Easy XP Tweaks Second Edition that should make you computer faster. You don't have to do all of the just the once aimed as system performance.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 14 October 2005 - 11:59 PM.

Advertisements

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok wannabe...pleasse hit me up when you are awake. i'l post the right tab then.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm still here for a bit, kalinbridg...getting a little droopy around the eyes, though.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I am here to help you too for the next five hours or so kalinbridg.

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Good morning wannabe..got some rest?
thanks for help so far. really appreciate. yea, that was my bad...i hope i got the startup screenprint correct now. please let me know.startup_screenshot_for_kalinbridg.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Morning kalinbridg...

Good job! I got 6 apps already that we'll stop. Now scroll the list down until "attune ce" is at the top and shoot me another screenshhot.

Note: I'm going to be in and out for a few hours this morning, but will be checking in when I'm here. When the list is complete, we'll get to work stopping the unnecessary applications so that we only have to do it once. I'll be watching for the next screenshot. (FYI...the startup programs in MY startup list don't even fill the first window... :tazz: )

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 October 2005 - 08:04 AM.

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi wannabe...it's me kalinbridg.Just got back from work. please, did you see the startup screen i posted, as you requested?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello kalinbridg...

Yes, I did...it's in your original topic, as is my reply. Topics have been merged...Thanks Keith!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 October 2005 - 04:50 PM.

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok wannabe...

thanks again. I have here attached the screenshot from attune and the last set of information on the screen shot. so this attachment is all the information on the startup tab. i hope this helps. yea, it's mid night here now...i'm awake..just hit me up when you are there. thanks again.screenshot_from_attune.JPG last_screen_shot.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok kalinbridg...

Sorry it took so long...I always look these up to make sure you don't need them at startup. :tazz:
Let's start with these...uncheck the box next to each entry.

logitray
camtray
conmgr
qttask
BackWeb
ypager
mmtray
microsoft office
msmsgs
adobe reader
googletalk
ISStart

You have two blank entries...would you post the file names that appear just off the images you posted?

Restart you machine. Upon restart, you will see a Selective Startup dialog box...check the box in the lower left corner and click "Ok".

Is your machine running a little faster?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 October 2005 - 06:12 PM.

Advertisements

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks wannabe, i just unchecked the boxes as u instructed. regarding the blank spaces on the screenbox, it's only one blank space...it looked like two cos of the way i posted it. but the one blank space does not give the name of the command...just the location.
i am about to restart my computer. i'l hit you up to let you know how it went.

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Wannabe1,

Yea, i did restart and checked the box on the selective startup dialogue box. i think it did boot a little quicker this time. i think it could still boot much faster. u reckon?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you timed it? I just booted a brand new build...48 seconds from power on to desktop (with Norton IS 2005 on startup).

wannabe1

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok Wannabe1,
I will time it now and hit you up after.

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
yea wannebe1,

it took 3 minutes 5 seconds to boot.