Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive & USB Cdrw Drive Unrecognized

• Please log in to reply

novice

novice

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:D <_< :D :D :D :D :P :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I OWN A CTX EZBOOK 800 SERIES LAPTOP WITH AN AMD-K6 333MHZ PROCESSER, 160MB RAM, 4 GB FUJITSU MHC2040AT HARD DRIVE, EXTERNAL PCMCIA 8GB IBM TRAVELSTAR E HARD DRIVE, 1.44 FLOPPY DISK DRIVE, 56K MODEM, AND A Q-LITY 4X4X6 CDRW (MODEL: ECW-043).

PROBLEM:

A FEW DAYS AGO, I DELETED MY WINDOWS 98 OS BY REFORMATTING THE FUJITSU HARD DRIVE BECAUSE I WANTED TO REINSTALL WINDOWS. SINCE I HAVE A USB CDRW DRIVE AND FLOPPY DRIVE, I TRIED BOOTING WINDOWS 98, 98SE, XP HOME, AND XP PRO USING THE WINDOWS FLOPPY BOOT DISKS, AND USED THE WINDOWS INSTALLATION CDS WITH MY USB CDRW DRIVE. HOWEVER, I'VE BEEN VERY UNSUCCESSFUL WITH INSTALLING ANY OF THE OS'.

DOS WILL NOT EVEN RECOGNIZE MY HARD DRIVE OR CDRW DRIVE. THE ONLY COMMAND PROMPTS I CAN ACCESS IS THE A:> AND B:>, NO C:>, D:>, ETC. I SEARCHED EVERYWHERE ON THE NET FOR ONLINE SUPPORT THAT WILL HELP FIX MY PC PROBLEM. I FOUND A FEW GOOD TIPS FROM FORUMS ON USING USB 4 DOS DRIVERS TO INSTALL WINDOWS; I MADE SEVERAL BOOT DISKS FROM http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.html AND http://www.stefan200...OS/DRIVERS/USB/. I TRIED USING ALL USB DRIVERS I COULD DOWNLOAD (DUSE 4.4 & 4.9, MOTTO HAIRU, DATOPTIC'S DAT.EXE USB BOOT, PANASONICS KXLRW21A.EXE, ETC...). HOWEVER, STILL NO LUCK. MAYBE I'M ENTERING THE INCORRECT COMMANDS IN MY CONFIG.SYS AND AUTOEXEC.BAT. ???????? I'M ENTERING THEM EXACTLY HOW I SAW ON THESE WEBSITES.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT APPEARS ON THE SCREEN WHEN I USE A USB DOS CD-ROM BOOT DISK I MADE FROM http://www.stefan200...OS/DRIVERS/USB/

Starting Windows 98...
A:>duseldr a:\duse.exe

DUSE VERSION 4.4 Build 110 Release (General)
DOS USB Stack Driver with USB Storage Extentions
Copyright Cypress Semiconductor, 2000-2002

OHCI USB Controller initialized (BASE 0xd1000, IRQ 10)

USB CD-ROM Support enabled
CD-ROM: 'Q-Lity CD-R/RW ECW-043'

UCB Drive support enabled
Drive C: <Not Installed>

Insert diskette for drive B: (what diskette???) and press any key when ready

(action when I press enter key)
Insert diskette for drive A: (again what diskette???) and press any key when ready

(action when I press enter key again)
A:>MSCDEX /D:USBCDROM /S /M:15 /V
MSCDEX Version 2.25
Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1986-1995. All right reserved
Drive D: = Driver USBCDROM unit 0
449392 bytes free memory
0 bytes expanded memory
13388 bytes CODE
2112 bytes static DATA
31212 bytes dynamic DATA
46976 bytes used

A:>_

AND THAT'S IT

I EVEN TRIED RESETTING MY BIOS/CMOS SETTINGS TO ITS ORIGINAL SETTINGS WITH USB SUPPORT ENABLED, BUT NO CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE. MY PRIMARY MASTER HD STILL READS AUTO, AND WHEN MY COMPUTER BOOTS, MY BIOS READS MY HARD DRIVE AS FIXED DISK 0: FUJITSU MHC2040AT (WINDOWS XP CANT EVEN FIX IT).

AS YOU CAN SEE, I AM IN NEED OF MAJOR PC HARDWARE HELP. I AM VERY, VERY NOVICE AT USING DOS, SO IF YOU HELP ME, WE WILL HAVE TO START EXACTLY FROM THE TOP. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLIES. :tazz:

Edited by tazz1964, 27 March 2004 - 07:34 AM.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
welcome to geekstogo
Did you fdisk and format your c: drive after you did the reformat it may have been a lowlevel format program that you used and that is why it will not find it. most likely when it is asking you for a disk its looking for the dos drivers for you cd-rom if you don't have one go to the site for the one that makes the cd-rom and you should be able to down load one from there,
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I agree with Tazz. With the stephan2000... example that you've provided, your USB CD-ROM is recognized and loaded as drive d:, but it doesn't recognize your hard drive. Be sure your device detection is set to auto in BIOS, and that the drive has been properly partitioned and formated.