Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card

• Please log in to reply

wossie

wossie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
i have got myself a new card , but at the moment my m/board is running sis650, will adding the new card knock out the sis chip .reason being is that i have doubled up my ram but the chip is taking up 64 megs of ram ,or do i have to stop it in bios.running a columbia board with a apg slot.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi wossie!

BEFORE adding the new vid card to your computer, I would go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video and also make sure that the options for INITIAL DISPLAY is set to AGP (if it is an AGP card, meaning it plugs into the BROWN slot). Then turn off your computer, insert the new video card. Turn on the computer and then install the driver for the video card.

Fenor

wossie

wossie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
can i do this with packard bell bios, packard [bleep].

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
All you can do is check, if there is no option in the bios for the items I stated in my previous post, then just turn off your computer, put the new vid card in, connect the monitor cable to the new vid card and turn the computer back on.

Fenor