Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

think this is a good deal for a gaming rig

• Please log in to reply

rov

rov

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Total Price with Instant Savings: $1,582.00

Specifications:
Case: Digital Storm Twister LITE Series (Black Edition)
Posted Image
Power Supply: Antec TruePower 2.0 550W
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (512K Cache) w/HyperTransport Technology
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI (Chipset: nForce4 SLI) (Raid / Dual 1GB Lan / USB / Firewire)
Memory 1: 1GB Super Talent (Lifetime Warranty) at PC3200 400MHz
Floppy / Media: Sony 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Cooling: Blizzard Extreme Heat-Sink and Fan (Stage 2 Cooling)
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital 160GB (Interface: IDE ATA100) 7200RPM (2MB Buffer)
Optical Drive 1: Samsung 52X32X52 CD-RW (Black Edition) (Model: TS-H292A/WBGH)
Optical Drive 2: Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM (Black Edition) (Model: SOHD-16P9S)
Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 6800 256MB (By: Asus) (PCI-Express)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value4L 7.1
Network Card: Onboard 10/100 Ethernet
Case Lighting: Cold Cathode Tube (Blue Edition)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home
Speakers: 120 2.0 Speaker System (Black Edition)
Keyboard: Super Talent Multimedia & Internet Keyboard + Optical Wheel Mouse (Black Edition)
$1,582.00 Total

i thought about building my own, but i dont feel like jumping off into the deep end just yet.
i checked all the parts for the best deal, and if i did build it myself id end up spending more. if i get it custom built from digital storm il get an instant savings of $250, and a free 2 year warranty.

any feedback?
:tazz:

Advertisements

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Get dual channel RAM. For example 2 x 512 chips. It improves performance. I think your mobo supports it.

Also i don't think you need a network card since your mobo has a built in gigabit ethernet.

But just go to the manufacturer's website and check if it has a gigabit ethernet built in and if your mobo supports dual channel RAM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That board supports Dual Channel; therefore use it.

Asus is a good name to go for in a motherboard and their other products; it's a sign of quality in my eyes. Therefore you may find you don't make use of the warranty.

rov

rov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
is there a big diff between 1 stick of 1g, and 2 sticks of 512?

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
If you use dual channel then yea. It is 2 times faster. But if you don't then its the same.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
If you use dual channel then yea. It is 2 times faster. But if you don't then its the same.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
The only thing that bothers me about this system is the video card. Sure its a 6800, but how about a 6800 GT? or a even a 6800 Ultra? If I were you, after I bought this system I would get two 6800 GT's and use them in SLI configuration. That would be crazy awesome. And now, the 6800 GT's are down to less than $300 w00t! 6800 Ultras are still hovering around $415 :tazz:

kind of suprising this system doesnt have a SATA HDD. Haha I know where that builder got his 160GB ATA HDD... Tigerdirect! $50 160GB HDD. I would know... no worries though, its a great drive. very responsive!

Two sticks of 512mb is better because they are less dense than 1GB sticks, thus you can get lower latencies with just two 512's, and there is the dual channel part.

overall, great system and warranty for the price!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Some of the info they give you is sketchy and its alot of money for a PC with a vanilla 6800 no name ram no name hsf(which can be more hassle than the stock one) and it doesnt give you the name of the cpu core.
You could build that PC for half the price and with that money you could build a very nice PC, so not really a good deal in my opinion.

teh_inquisitor

teh_inquisitor

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Nice rig, if I had a good budget I would install 2 1gb sticks instead though, mainly because if you have lots of programs running windows will run virtual memory, I've found windows to be a poor handler of virtual memory, (uses too much). 64 bit windows is better mind you. Also if money allows, get a SATA Drive, the WD Raptors are great and very quiet for the performance. SATA has a faster transfer than IDE and also a potentially faster spin speed etc, hdd's are often the bottleneck of a system and it would definatly load windows faster on your system.

Also I'm a bit of an ATI lover so I would say that the Radeon X1800 will keep you happy for quite a while =)