Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Autochk Revisited

• Please log in to reply

LiquidCowBoy

LiquidCowBoy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After following Fenor's directions in this topic, post #8 to uninstall the HotFix that could be causing the "autochk program not found...skipping autocheck" problem I got the message "system cannot find the file or directory specified". I was wondering if there was something else I could do to locate the Hotfix and or uninstall it.

Sidenote: I just installed all windows updates leading up to SP2. When I restarted, I had to reinstall/replace 5 dll/exe/nls files before I ran into the autochk problem. Do I even have HotFix KB824105??

As for circumventing the "autochk not found" error, I've tried many things in RC: Expanding a autochk.exe file in my windows\system32 folder, running chkdsk /r and /p. as well as trying to start windows in safe mode, which ends abruptly after about 15 things load.

Since my computer is a Vaio notebook, it came pre-partitioned with the XP CD on a hidden partition. Upon trying to use the recovery utility, it made this partition visible, changing the order of my drives, however this has had no effects on the RC functions, but has made it so windows does not load, instead going directly to the Recovery Utility, where it waits for my recover CD's, of which I have 7 of 8 (missing the first one...).

Secondary question: If I use the windows CD I have now to reinstall XP on my C partition, can I somehow access the "hidden" partiton with my sony XP on it and have it reformat/reinstall with that version? I have free software etc that came with the computer that I would like to have rather than having to rebuy it all!

any help would be of great service!
-ryan

Advertisements

LiquidCowBoy

LiquidCowBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
*Edit* I opened the "hidden" sony vaio XP install partition with RC and used chkdsk /r on it. I restarted and this time it is reinstalling my factory settings. Thanks to all those who took time to look and help~
-ryan