Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error message at shutdown but can't read it

• Please log in to reply

dcc

dcc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
OS is XP. At shutdown a message appears but XP cycles to shutdown too fast that message can't be read.
Is there a way to halt shutdown process so message can be read?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

Sorry there is not a way to halt the shut down. If that is when you are getting it it might be a program that dose not like you closing it when you computer is shut down, try closing down all the programs in the System tray and see if it stops. Do you get any other errors? If this is the only one you get I don't think you have much to worry about.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 15 October 2005 - 07:24 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dcc! Welcome to G2G!

Right click on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the ADVANCED tab and click the SETTINGS button under STARTUP and RECOVERY. Under the SYSTEM FAILURE heading, uncheck the box next to AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Click OK and the APPLY and OK. Then shut down your computer and you should get a blue screen with an error code in all caps in the format of ERROR_MESSAGE_HERE (XXxXXXXX)

Please post that error message in here.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 15 October 2005 - 07:26 PM.

dcc

dcc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

Sorry there is not a way to halt the shut down. If that is when you are getting it it might be a program that dose not like you closing it when you computer is shut down, try closing down all the programs in the System tray and see if it stops. Do you get any other errors? If this is the only one you get I don't think you have much to worry about.

Thanks Mike,

All my programs are closed at time of shutdown. It doesn't seem to be effecting anything (at present)
but I'm curious....

dcc

dcc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi dcc! Welcome to G2G!

Right click on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the ADVANCED tab and click the SETTINGS button under STARTUP and RECOVERY. Under the SYSTEM FAILURE heading, uncheck the box next to AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Click OK and the APPLY and OK. Then shut down your computer and you should get a blue screen with an error code in all caps in the format of ERROR_MESSAGE_HERE (XXxXXXXX)

Please post that error message in here.

Fenor

Thanks Fenor,
I looked at my System Failure heading and the Auto Restart field was already unchecked.
Would it show up in the System event/log viewer?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
There might be an error in event viewer, look at the clock on your computer then shut it down, restart it and look for any errors at that time in event viewer.

dcc

dcc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

There might be an error in event viewer, look at the clock on your computer then shut it down, restart it and look for any errors at that time in event viewer.

I'll try that this evening and let you know.
Thanks,