Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL Ethernet - Connection Much Much Slower After Reinstalling WinXP OS

• Please log in to reply

Bob323

Bob323

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I reinstalled Windows XP this week and everything is working fine except that my DSL connection speed has slowed down significantly. Before the reinstall, I used to get avg speeds of 185KB/sec and now I am getting only 90-100KB/sec for the most part and sometimes as slow as 50KB/sec!

I have downloaded from a good number of different sites to test speeds from a variety of different servers/locations and have not seen a huge difference - almost all were 90-100KB/sec except for a few that were slower and a few that were faster - the fastest I have seen has been 150KB/sec but this was only once.

I have a Westell WireSpeed DSL modem, a Belkin 4-port wired router and my desktop computer. I dont really need the router after selling my laptop but I kept it as an extra layer of protection. The slow 50-100KB/sec speed happen both when running through the router and also without the router(going direct from modem to ethernet card).

Here are some other specs for my system
**Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz, 3.4 GHz
**1024 MB RAM
**Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
**Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller

Can someone help me troubleshoot this situation ?

I probably only be online for another 90 minutes or so tonight and then back online Sunday am Oct 16 (EDT)

thanks very much
Bob

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Your modem and router probably need to be reset. To do this, power down everything (router, modem and computer). Then turn on the modem. Once it's lights are normal, turn on the router and again wait for the lights to return to normal. Then turn on your PC.

Post how your speed is then.

Fenor

Bob323

Bob323

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Fenor

Okay I did as you instructed and I am still getting ~100KB/sec. What else can I check ?

thanks

Bob

Bob323

Bob323

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I noticed that the IP address ranges from my ISP (not the IP address from the router) changed significantly after the OS reinstall. my connection type is PPPoE and is DHCP enabled.
could this change of IP ranges(WAN IPs?) have an effect on the speed ?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would call your ISP and see if maybe they lowered the bandwidth they are allowing through your connection class type or if they are having any trouble with some of their equipment that could be causing this problem.

Fenor

Bob323

Bob323

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you Fenor - I'll contact them - I appreciate your replies :tazz: