Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The ol' "Can't access certain websites" problem

• Please log in to reply

BoyWonder357

BoyWonder357

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I just installed Win XP on a fairly old computer (500mHz). Everything runs fine, except for one problem. I can't access certain websites (hotmail.com, ebay.com, just to name a couple), but a lot of other sites seem to load just fine.

Here's what I have tried so far:

1. Spybot S&D scan and clean
2. AdAware scan and clean
3. 2 different antivirus programs (no infections found)
4. Re-install the ie.inf file (the sticky topic in this forum)
5. checked the hosts file in Windows\system32\drivers\etc (only the local entry, as it should be)
6. changed the registry's MTU setting to 1454 (I think that was the magic number)
7. tried Firefox (got the same results...some would load but others wouldn't)

Anybody got anything else for me to try?

T-I-A!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The magic MTU number these days is 1492, just remember Columbus! Did you update this version of XP yet, and what version of IE does it have? How about your secure socket layer, is it up to date?

BoyWonder357

BoyWonder357

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
can't access Windows Update either :tazz: IE says I have 128-bit encryption

anything else I can check?

Edited by BoyWonder357, 16 October 2005 - 04:18 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'd start by using another XP computer and downloading the installation file for IE6 SP2 to a floppy and run it on your machine. It will download and install IE6 to the machine. You may be able to access it with your machine, if not use another one. You get it here

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

BoyWonder357

BoyWonder357

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, I can't even access that link on the troubled PC... On an other PC, that link downloads the install program, but not the actual program itself, so how would I go about getting it to install on the other computer? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I am at my wit's end with this PC. :tazz:

Thanks for your help!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

OK, I can't even access that link on the troubled PC... On an other PC, that link downloads the install program, but not the actual program itself, so how would I go about getting it to install on the other computer? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I am at my wit's end with this PC. :tazz:

Thanks for your help!

Just put the installer on a floppy, it's about 480kb, and run it from the floppy on the troubled machine. It will download and install the main program.

Edited by Tyger, 17 October 2005 - 08:10 AM.

TestyTech

TestyTech

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am not familiar with FireFox but since it is an independent web browser I would look more toward your connection, do you have any firewall software or anti-spyware software installed that is blocking the sites etc. I know this is a fresh load does your media come with SP2 included? If so keep in mind that the Windows XP firewall is active by default.

If you are able to get to the home page of the sites you listed but not into the secure areas of the pages you can try the steps in this article just ignore the IE only steps as multiple browsers exibit the issue:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;813444

BoyWonder357

BoyWonder357

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Just put the installer on a floppy, it's about 480kb, and run it from the floppy on the troubled machine. It will download and install the main program.

No dice...apparently that process uses the Windows Update site, which I can't access either :tazz:

One other piece of info, I am using a Morotola wireless router, through which the troubled computer is currently hard wired. My other computer a wireless laptop, works fine and can access any and all websites.

Anyone know of anything else I can try?

BoyWonder357

BoyWonder357

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I am not familiar with FireFox but since it is an independent web browser I would look more toward your connection, do you have any firewall software or anti-spyware software installed that is blocking the sites etc. I know this is a fresh load does your media come with SP2 included? If so keep in mind that the Windows XP firewall is active by default.
If you are able to get to the home page of the sites you listed but not into the secure areas of the pages you can try the steps in this article just ignore the IE only steps as multiple browsers exibit the issue:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;813444

thanks but I can't even access the homepage of those sites (again, hp.com, ebay.com, and hotmail.com to name a few)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
So it sounds like a connection problem instead of a script problem. Did you set the MTU number to 1492 or auto? How does the network adapter look in Device Manager? Have you reinstalled the drivers for the wireless adapter? Do you have another network device in the machine that lets you hard wire to the net temporarily so you can download updates and drivers?

BoyWonder357

BoyWonder357

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So it sounds like a connection problem instead of a script problem. Did you set the MTU number to 1492 or auto? How does the network adapter look in Device Manager? Have you reinstalled the drivers for the wireless adapter? Do you have another network device in the machine that lets you hard wire to the net temporarily so you can download updates and drivers?

I have tried 1454 and 1492 as MTU settings. Adapter says "Device is working properly" in Device Manager. I do not have a wireless adapter in the troubled PC, so it's hard wired through a regular PCI card. The laptop is the only wireless unit, and it works fine.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Well, if the connection works you should be able to use the install exe to install IE6, it doesn't depend on the scripts on the update website. When you try to run it, what kind of errors do you have? You really do need to have a functional browser to handle the scripts. And your SSL scripting needs to be up to date. The problem is there aren't many clues here and the networking settings are spread all over, so you have to check many places to cover everything.