Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help =(

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you borrow a flash drive from a friend, and then put the file on that and then plug it into a USB port on the computer in question?

Fenor

*EDIT* Halftimes over, be back when game is over, so my reply will be awhile.

Edited by Fenor, 23 October 2005 - 12:38 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Wait a second, it's the desktop that is having the problem not the laptop. All you need to do is take a floppy over to a friends house, copy the winsock file onto a floppy and then bring it back to your house, put the floppy drive in the desktop, run winsockfix and then reboot your computer.

Fenor

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Yes sir, but the only friend i know of that lives within a few miles, that has a Desktop, is not here, out on vacation. I'm fifteen, no car, can't really go anywhere lol.. Should I wait for this person to get home? or is there an alternative, or a way to do it manually?
By the way, thanks again for everyone taking time out of their day to help me. I know you're all volunteers. I respect that.

It sucks too, I've been researching it, and I'm diagnosed with everything winsock2 would fix;
* the computer can get a valid IP address
* the computer can ping DNS numbers
* the computer can be pinged from other computers
* all other network services do not work (Telnet, ftp and Web browsers)

EDIT: I just read this on the homepage of the program; (Important: w2fix.exe cannot be run from a floppy disk as the program reboots the computer and a floppy disk would interfere with the boot sequence.)

http://www.bu.edu/pc...insock2fix.html
^--- Is the link I got the previous information from.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 23 October 2005 - 12:49 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

EDIT: I just read this on the homepage of the program; (Important: w2fix.exe cannot be run from a floppy disk as the program reboots the computer and a floppy disk would interfere with the boot sequence.)

You wouldn't run the file from the floppy, you would copy it to a place on the computer itself and then run it. Taking about the floppy disk before you do so.

But yes you should wait until you can get the file put on a floppy because there really isn't much else we can do until then, not with windows 98 anyways.

Fenor

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Alright. Thanks for your advice, Fenor. I may have access to my grandmother's computer, which is where I'm going to go now, and try to get it on a floppy. Thanks a bunch. I'll be back in no more than two hours. Hope she's home.

I'll let ya know how it goes, ASAP.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 23 October 2005 - 01:27 PM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Just upgraded the firmware on the router, it still had the initial release firmware. Sorry it's taking so long, I'll be going over to get my copy of winsock2 soon

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Yes, well, I just got back sprinting from my friends' house in the middle of the hurricane, which should be over me very soon, and I'll probably lose power, and when i try to open W2fix on my computer from the floppy disk or even move it, my entire computer freezes, and when i crtl alt delete it, the task manager just shows the floppy drive as not responding and freezes. -.-;;;
So lame.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Yeah, it's pretty lame. I finally was able to open the program and it came up with an <unknown> illegal operation, etc, and then another error message following it, named restrictions, how this application cant eb launched due to restrictions on your computer, or something..? What the...?
This is so frusterating.....-.- :tazz:

Edited by Oniketsoku, 23 October 2005 - 08:19 PM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
also, i left ipconfig/all up, and an error message was frozen on my screen about how this laptop, and the deskops physical address were different. if that means anything -.-

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Does anyone know what I should do? T_T

Advertisements

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Anyone..please..

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is there anything you really need saved off of the laptop? If not, then I suggest you try formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows 98 on it and go from there.

Fenor

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Yeah.. there's some important things on it, and I just reformatted it 2 months ago, and it took me a month to setup the internet network... :tazz:

budm

budm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I may be way out on a limb here. My laptop was doing the same thing. I used TCPIP repair and Winsock2 repair & that fixed it.

I used my good laptop to DL, then transferred via compact flash card & drive.

Got me back on the air.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hmm.. I'll look into TCPIP repair, and Winsock2 didn't seem to work on my PC; it just illegal operation'd and came up with another 'Restrictions' error message. Also, a message about my physical address being different keeps popping up..
anyone? :tazz:
~Oni
(Thanks for the input budm)