Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Help me password protect or encrypt my usb drive

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am a poor college kid, and couldn't afford both a desktop and a laptop, but the CIS department made laptops mandatory. Well, I got stuck buying a laptop, and I don't like keeping important files on the laptop drive in the event my laptop is stolen or lost. I bought 2 WD 150Gb usb drives that I keep all of my movies, songs, IRS documents, and banking software on. Now I would like to somehow password protect the files on these drives. I don't think a simple password protection would do, but maybe some encryption software. The problem is, I do not want to have to un-encrypt my data everytime I use it. Do any of you guys have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by KelJu, 16 October 2005 - 10:19 AM.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To GO

Have a look at This Page there are plenty of programs to encrypt your files. I don't know if any of then let you do it "on the fly" like you what then to.