Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Driver

• Please log in to reply

AFVM

AFVM

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I had to reload my entire Windows XP operating system. I also have a linksys wireless router which I have used before. Anyway... when I went to hook the router up to the new motorola modem I had to buy because the install disk for the previous one was misplaced, I couldn't get a connection. I opened the device manager and there was a yellow question mark next to the ethernet. I can connect with a USB without the router - modem to modem, but I can't hook the router up. How do I get the required driver for the ethernet?
Thanks.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Do you know the make and model of your ethernet card or is it integrated into the motherboard??

Murray

AFVM

AFVM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It's part of the motherboard (I guess). It's the Dell 4600 PC. How would I know if it was a card or on the motherboard anyway?
Andrea

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

It's part of the motherboard (I guess). It's the Dell 4600 PC. How would I know if it was a card or on the motherboard anyway?
Andrea

Have you been to the Dell site? They almost surely have the drivers you need. Or did you check for any drivers in the installation disks?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Dell might have given you a cd with the ethernet driver on it. Point the "update driver" to the cd (Not your XP cd!) and see if you can get it.

Johanna

AFVM

AFVM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've tried the CD and I still have no ethernet hardware. I also realized yesterday that I also have no sound. In the device manager the multimedia audio also has one of those yellow question marks. I don't know what driver to download from Dell for either of these. I'm trying not to call them if I don't have to.
Andrea

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
go to www.dell.com and find the drivers download page...put in your model of pc and you can get your ethernet driver and your sound driver

AFVM

AFVM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, I'll try it when I get home. I hope it works.
Andrea

AFVM

AFVM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've tried Dell, the only thing I haven't done is call them. I've checked through the device mager and it says problem device. How can that be? I only reloaded what I was given. I had both sound and ethernet before.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I've tried Dell, the only thing I haven't done is call them. I've checked through the device mager and it says problem device. How can that be? I only reloaded what I was given. I had both sound and ethernet before.

Do you have your ethernet and sound back??

Did you download, install and then go into Device Manager and update the drivers for both problem areas??

Murray

AFVM

AFVM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't. This is what happened. I was having trouble with the computer and I finally reloaded the entire Xp program using the CD that came with it. I didn't know there was a problem until I tried to re-hook my linksys router. Then I found there was no working ethernet. After a while I also realized there was no sound. I tried all the other CDs - drivers, utilities, even the monitor. According to the device manager the ethernet and the multi-something audio are problems devices - they don't even have a description for them. I'll appreciate any advice you can give me - even if you tell me to call Dell.
Thanks,
Andrea