Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

URGENT! Computer keeps restarting!

• Please log in to reply

ummmm

ummmm

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Lately, my computer has been restarting by itself, usually as soon as it loads up from its previous restart. Im not sure why, but, a few days ago, someone on aim sent me a link to something called pic10. I downloaded it, thinking it had somehting to do with homework, but it was a MS-DOS type program and when i clicked it, nothing happened. Ever since, my computers been going crazy. What should i do?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ummmm...Welcome to G2G!

Try running System Restore. Restore to a time before the problem began. Then you might want to go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top (Start Here). That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

wannabe1

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
It would seem that your assumption re. pic10 is correct - it appears to be malware. I found this ( part of a much longer text)

....One of the webpages of the 'toolbarpartner.com' website downloads a file named 'pic10.jpg' using an exploit. This JPG file is actually an executable that replaces Windows Media Player application. ....

A visit to the malware forum seems to be in order.

ummmm

ummmm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. I restored my computer to a point three or four weeks back and its working fine, no more random restarts. if i ever need anything else i'll post a new topic. THANKS!!!!!! :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are most welcome, ummmm...glad to help! :tazz:

wannabe1