Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

intheflesh1539

intheflesh1539

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have 2 Computers wired to a Gateway WGR-200 Router and one computer connected wirelessly through a Gateway WGU-210 wireless USB adapter. The two computers that are wired can see eachother and share a printer (HP Photosmart 7550) with no problems. On the computer that is connected wirelessly, I can access the internet with no problems but I am not able to access the shared printer. All computers are running XP SP2 home edition and are part of the same workgroup. Any suggestions?

Edited by intheflesh1539, 16 October 2005 - 11:58 AM.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello intheflesh1539 and Welcome to Geeks to Go, :tazz:

Im Shootin from the hip here, since no one has offered anything up in a couple days and your probable not watching this post anymore....

Disable all your firewalls, virus scans, and security suites.... for all computers and then retry to locate the shared printer.

intheflesh1539

intheflesh1539

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried it and I'm still getting nothing...thanks though

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Welcome Back intheflesh1539,

Good to see your still watching your post. Please complete Process 1 through 3, to enable your Print Share (AKA File share - has to bo enabled also)

YOUR COMPUTER WILL HAVE TO BE RESTARTED SO YOU MAY WANT TO PRINT THESE INSTRUCTIONS

PROCESS 1 - Complete the Network Setup Wizard for all 3 computers - Here is A HOW TO, if you need it:

1. Double click My Computer icon
2. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
3. Under "Network Tasks" select the "Set up a home or small office network" link
4. When the Network setup wizard appears click "Next"
5. When the second page appears click "Next"
6. When the third Page appears select the "Other" bubble and click "Next"
7. When the fourth page appears select the bubble "This computer connects directly or through a network Hub. Other computer on my network also connect to the internet directly or through a hub."
8. When the fifth page appears under "Computer description" type in XP PRO, Computer name XP PRO and click "next"
9. When the sixth Page appears under "workgroupe name" type in: namegroup - insert your last name in the namegroup and click "next"
10. When the seventh page appears select the "Turn on File and Print Sharing" Bubble and click "next".
11. When the warning comes up asking if your sure you want to turn on file and print sharing just select "yes".
*NOTE* If you do not want to create a self install disk for additional PC's skip the following steps and proceed to Step 11a through 11c at the end of this page.
12. When the seveth page appears click "Next".
13. When the eigth page appears under "What do you want to Do?" Select the "Create a Network Setup Disk" bubble and click "next".
14. When the ninth page appears select the "Format Disk" Button
15. When the format 3 1/2 Floppy (A:) screen appears just click "start"
*NOTE* If you get a warning that says formatting will erase all data - this means it will erase all data on the floppy disc - not on your hard drive
16. When it is done select "ok" then hit the "x" to close out the format screen... this takes you back to page nine and select "next".
*NOTE*
17. Now you will a screen that shows files being copied... just wait till its done and you will be automatically sent to screen 10. Just click on "next".
18. When the eleventh page appears just click "finish".
19. Now restart your machine
20. Now go to the next computer and complete the Following

Additional Pc Setup
21. Insert the disk in the A drive
22. Double click the "my computer" icon
23. Select open network setup disk
24. double click "netsetup"
25. If the PC is unable to read the disk then just repeat steps 1-11 and include the following steps after steps 1-11 have been completed:

11a. When the next page appears select the bubble for "Just finish the wizard" and click on "Next"
11b. When the next screen appears just select "Finish"
11c. Now reboot your PC

-------------ONLY AFTER ALL THESE STEPS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED-------------
----------------------------MOVE ON TO PROCESS 2 --------------------------------

PROCESS 2 - View worgroup and Disable Protocol Blockers.

1. Go back to the first computer and double click on the "my computer" icon
2. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
3. Under "Network Tasks" on the left pane select the "View workgroup computers"
4. After clicking on this you will get a list of all the computers in your network. If the additional computers you added are not showing up then disable the Norton on your Desktop PC and the McAfee on your Notebook PC.
5. Go back to the first computer and double click on the "my computer" icon
6. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
7. Under "Network Tasks" on the left pane select the "View workgroup computers"
8. After clicking on this you will get a list of all the computers in your network. If the additional computers you added are not showing up then we must GURANTEE that you have shut down all protocol blockers by disabling them through the microsoft configuration tool. Follow these steps to accomplish this:

TO BE DONE ON ALL PC'S ON THE NETWORK - Disabling all active processes for Selective startup troubleshooting:

1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in... msconfig
4. when the System Configuration Utility appears click on the SERVICES tab
5. Check the HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES box
6. Copy down which boxes have a check in them so you can them restore back later
7. Click on the DISABLE ALL Button
8. Click on the STARTUP Tab
9. Copy down which boxes have a check in them so you can them restore back later
10. Click on the DISABLE ALL Button
11. Click on the APPLY Button
12. Click on the OK Button
13. Click on the RESTART Button
14. When the PC restarts check the Selective startup notification box and click on the OK button
15. Go back to the first computer and double click on the "my computer" icon
16. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
17. Under "Network Tasks" on the left pane select the "View workgroup computers"
18. After clicking on this you will get a list of all the computers in your network. If the additional computers you added are finally showing up then we have verified that a third party program is blocking your share ability. to find out which program it is just simply run the Msconfig again and under the Services and Startup tab... turn the components you unchecked back on one by one until you lose your share ability. If you are still not able to Share then Post back and we will continue with more advanced procedures.

PROCESS 3 - TO BE DONE ONLY IF PROCESS' 1 AND 2 ARE SUCCESSFUL AND YOU CAN VIEW ALL COMPUTERS ON YOUR WORKGROUP - Add Print Share

1. Click on START
2. Click on CONTROL PANEL
3. Click on PRINTERS AND FAXES
4. Under PRINTER TASKS click on ADD PRINTER
5. This will bring up the ADD PRINTER WIZARD
6. Click the NEXT Button
7. Select the bubble for A NETWORK PRINTER, OR A PRINTER ATTAHCED TO ANOTHER COMPUTER
8. Leave the BROWSE FOR A PRINTER bubble selected and click on the NEXT Button
9. Under the Shared Printers Box you will see the other computers connected to your workgroupe
10. double click the computer, that has the printer, then highlight the printer and click the NEXT Button
11. Continue clicking the NEXT button untill you get to the Finish Button then Click OK

If you are still unable to Share the Printer after these 3 Process's have been COMPLETED FULLY, then post back and we will move on to advanced troubleshooting.