Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP home destop issues

• Please log in to reply

cprbrew

cprbrew

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I was trying to help my niece with a problem where the destop has no icons and the toolbar won't show up either. I was able to get the task manager to work and able to get into registry. I have never seen this problem with my own computer. I am not sure what is best way to solve. Please help me!! Thanks!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cprbrew...Welcome to G2G!

Sounds like you have a corrupt User Account. To resolve this issue, you'll need to create a new one. This Microsoft Article will walk you through the steps to complete this procedure.

wannabe1

cprbrew

cprbrew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks wannabe but I can't access the control panel from the desktop. I can't get a toolbar or any icons. I look at the article thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cprbrew...

Can you get the Task Manager? Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete at the same time. Click the "New Task" button on the lower right and type control.exe in the Open box...Click "Ok". This should bring up Control Panel.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

cprbrew

cprbrew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi wannabe1 I tried to get to control panel from task manager and it doesn't seem to find it. I have accessed many things and try to access system restore and it won't popup either. Still no toolbar for desktop and same no icons. Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you open My Computer?

cprbrew

cprbrew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yes can open my computer but no control panel there

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok cprbrew...Let's do this from Safe Mode.

Please reboot and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence. When you see the Options screen, select Safe Mode and press "Enter".

If you have no access to Control Panel in Safe Mode...

Open My Computer and double click on the HDD (Local Disk C:) then the Windows folder (you may have to click the link to "Show the Files") and then the System 32 folder. Find the application icon labeled Control.exe and double click on it...this should open Control Panel.

Then follow the Microsoft guide.

wannabe1