Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP CD Writer Plus 8200e

• Please log in to reply

krazycid

krazycid

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey anyone. :thumbsup: I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I could find the right driver for an HP CD Writer Plus 8200e for Windows 2000? I've finally upgraded to 2000 and now I can't install the software for my CD burner. It tells me it only operates on 98. I went to the HP site and they have a link to get the driver for 2000, but the link doesn't work. I can only get the one for XP, which I don't need. ;) If anyone could help be out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance anyone! :tazz:

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I found the driver at http://www.driverguide.com
Just login with:

Username: driver2
Password: all

Search for the driver.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

krazycid

krazycid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sweet, thanks Johnny. I think I got the right driver, but now i can't figure out how to overwrite the old one. Any suggestions?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
When you downloaded the driver was it an .exe file? If so then just run it and it will automatically overwrite the old one (it should anyways). If it's the actual driver then you will need to go to control panel, system, click the Hardware tab, click "Device Manager" button and find your cd writer in there. Right click it and click "update driver" you will then be able to specify the exact location of the driver you downloaded and windows will install it from there. Let me know if you have any more questions.

krazycid

krazycid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Alright jonny (or anyone), i downloaded and updated to the correct driver for 2000 but still when I try and install the software for the CD I get a message saying I must have Window 98 to install this software and terminates the installation. I don't get it, no options or anything? Just OK and it's done. Any ideas would be helpful. thanks! :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
The software sounds like it was made for Win98. You don't need the software to use the burner. You have the updated drivers, so you should be able to burn now using nero or any other 3rd party software. If you want software for Windows 2000 you may need to search the manufacturers website for it. I can't guarantee that there is software for Win2000 though.

I think this may be what you need:

http://h10025.www1.h...=en&cc=us&os=61

krazycid

krazycid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yeah, I think you're right, I can't get it to work without the software either. I don't really know where to get any "3rd party software" for my burner or "nero?" Do you know anywhere I can I download one for free? ;)

If not, I probably just order the CD anyway. Only $10 for the shipping. Guess I'm not that cheap. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all you help though man! Really appreciate it. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
The link in my last post is supposed to be Win2000 software, did you check that out?

krazycid

krazycid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yeah, I ordered the Win2000 software from HP the other day. Like I said, it was only $10 for shipping so not too bad. I'm pretty sure that should fix my problems. Just have to wait a few days to get it, but after that I should be good to go. Again, you were a great help. Until next time...

:tazz:

Thanks.