Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A live automatic updating template...

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Hi all,

At the moment i use dreamweaver 8 and i have a template that all my pages on my site use because on every page there is a colom at the side and instead of changing every page i just update the template and it updates all the pages.

When i want to update my site i have to load up every page in dreamweaver and then edit the template and it updates the other pages. Then i have to upload every page in my site again!!!

Is there any way for it to link to a type of live template on the internet.

So all i have to do is update the template file, upload it to the web, and all the other pages will update themselves automatically on my site, like a live thing?

At the moment half the pages on my site are php and the other half html.

Will all of my pages have to be php for this to work?

And is there any way of making this type of live automatic page update thing?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to start learning about cascading style sheets. You make up one or two sheets and they set the style for all the pages on the site. To change all the pages you just edit the sheet.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Cascading stylesheets, or CSS, they work for both php and html files. All you have to do is put this tag:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">

on every page you want to apply the CSS to. When you want to change the style, just update the style.css file and all the pages that have the above tag will be changed.

Take a look at this page: http://www.yourhtmls...troduction.html it explains a lot better than I could :tazz:

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok, it sound really good!!!

So if i make a css at http://www.allsortshop.com/style.css, will all the pages have the tag <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css"> at the top of them?

And when i insert that tag at the top of my pages in dreamweaver 8, will it automatically load the template so i can insert text etc.

And do the Cascading stylesheets work a bit like a dreamweaver template with you can insert editable areas and optional areas etc?

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

So if i make a css at http://www.allsortshop.com/style.css, will all the pages have the tag <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css"> at the top of them?

No. Only the pages located in the root folder will have the code href="style.css". If the page is say, allsortshop.com/folder/page.html, then the code will be (I'm not entirely sure about this) href=".../style.css". Or you can put the css file within the folder and then you'll be able to use the same code. I guess you can also use the absolute filepath.

And when i insert that tag at the top of my pages in dreamweaver 8, will it automatically load the template so i can insert text etc.

No. It won't.

And do the Cascading stylesheets work a bit like a dreamweaver template with you can insert editable areas and optional areas etc?

No. It won't. CSS is nothing like a template. It's a coding language while a template is...not. CSS will only edit things like font size, font colour, link colour, background colour, etc.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
My hosting friend called louis (www.starlinkuk.co.uk) said to me today that css just edites the font etc.

He said that if i wanted to make a updating live template where all my pages can link to, i need to have a data driven database.

He makes them so he will probably make one for me.

But will it work?

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

He makes them so he will probably make one for me.

But will it work?

If he's made them before, it probably will

My hosting friend called louis (www.starlinkuk.co.uk) said to me today that css just edites the font etc.

CSS edits more than the font, but it's mostly used for that purpose.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
With .css you can determine not only the font but the backgrounds and background colors, not only for pages but for any tables or any parts of tables on a page, also the headings, their colors and sizes. After you've done a bit of browsing and remember the sites you've been to, go into your temp. internet file folder and look at the .css files used for the pages. That will give you a good idea of what is possible.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
What is a data driven database anyway?

And does it run off my sql? :tazz: