Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can connect to wireless network but

• Please log in to reply

djk1289

djk1289

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. Please can you help, I have a wireless ADSL modem router (http://www.qtds.com/...p?recnumber=677). My desktop and laptop both connect to the network fine but I cannot use the internet on my laptop. I am new and do not know much about networking. Please can you help, thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello djk1289 and welcome to Geeks to Go, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correcting your problem.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on the PC's in question, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example... XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Adapter / Card currently Installed on your problematic PC?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Router you are using?

4) Are you using the software that came with your wireless adapter to manage your connectivity to the router, or if using XP are you using the Wireless Zero Configuration (referred to as WZC)?

5) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

6) What troubleshooting steps have you taken already?

djk1289

djk1289

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

Both of the computers have XP Pro SP2 installed on them.

Im not sure on the model of the wireless card in my laptop, it came with my toshiba laptop so the manufacturer is toshiba but I cannot find a model name anywhere.....sorry.

The wireless router I am using is Safecom SWAMRU-54108

Im not really sure about the software, I did not install any, a message came up saying there is a wireless network for me to connect to In the taskbar.

I am using DHCP IP configuration.

I am not really sure what troubleshooting steps to take as both computers connect to the network ok, its just that when I try to browse the internet on my laptop it comes up "This page cannot be displayed" nor can I do anything else internet releated on my laptop. The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the settings. When I first connected to the network on my laptop it said this network may have limited or no connection, so I the TCP/IP settings so they were the same as my desktop which connects to the internet fine but I read something about them not being able to have the same IP address so I changed the last digit. This made the "Limited or no connection" message go away but I still cannot access the internet on my laptop.

Hope you can help. Thanks

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Welcome back djk1289,

First we need to verify that you have the correct Drivers loaded, please follow these steps:

1. Click on START,
2. Right Click on MY COMPUTER
3. Select PROPERTIES
4. Click on th HARDWARE Tab
5. Click on the DEVICE MANAGER Button
6. Scroll down to NETWORK ADAPTERS and find your wireless card.
7. Right click on it and select PROPERTIES
8. In the DEVICE STATUS what is written in there <REPLY 1>. If it says THIS DEVICE IS WORRKING CORRECTLY - - Then we are ok here. If it says something else POst Back with what it says.
9. Close out those screens

Second we need to verify that the Wireless device has the proper signal strength and IP Address, Please follow these steps:

1. Click on START
2. Click on CONTROL PANEL
3. Click on NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS
4. Click on NETWORK CONNECTIONS
5. Find your Wireless card and right click on it, to select VIEW AVAILABLE WIRELESS NETWORKS
6. Under NETWORK TASKS, Click on the REFRESH NETWORK LIST link
7. Select your broadcast from the list. Of the 5 bars -> How many are Green <REPLY 2>? 3 Green bars or more is what we need.
8. Once your broadcast is selected by clicking on it... Click on the CONNECT Button
9. You should automatically connect to the network or you will be asked to enter you NETWORK KEY.. if asked please do so.
10. Wait to see if you are able to connect.. If you do not get a message saying you cant then you were able to...
11. Close out that screen and go back in the NETWORK CO0NNECTIONS window.
12. Right click on your wireless card. to select STATUS
13. Verify the GENERAL Tab is selected and look under ACTIVITY PACKETS.
14. How many are SENT and RECEIVED <REPLY 3>? As long as both or one of them are not "0", then we are ok.
15. Click on the SUPPORT tab.
16. Under IP ADDRESS you should have an IP that starts with 192.168.xxx.xx If it starts with something other than this Please post back <REPLY 4> And also click on the REPAIR button.
17. If the new IP ADDRESS still does not start with 192.168.xxx.xx or if it starts with something other than this or you get an error message Please post back <REPLY 5>?
18. Click on the close Button and see if you can get on the internet. If Not Please post back with a complete REPLY of the questions needed for REPLIES 1-5.

djk1289

djk1289

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I did a little research and think that my problem is my laptop is not receiving a DHCP-assigned IP address. On http://www.smallbusi...cle.php/3287631 the 'Q' asked describes my problem exactly. Sorry I will answer those questions ASAP its just that I am not around my laptop at the moment to check.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
The above steps do exactly that........

djk1289

djk1289

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I went through the steps you said, heres what I got:

Reply 1: Device status OK

Reply 2: it starts at around 4-5 then drops to 3

Reply 3: Packets sent: 49, recieved: 0

Reply 4: 169.254.195.129 (I tried manually chaging the address so it was something similar to 192.168.xxx.xx. This got rid of the "Limited or No Connection" message but still no look connecting to the internet)

Reply 5: When I try to repair the connection it says:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:

Connecting to wireless network.

For assistance please contact the person that manages your network."

Hope you can help. Thanks :tazz:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Your card is definatley not cennecting to your router... we can tell this by the 169 ip address... First we must restore your router to factory defaults... to verify you dont have a corrupted profile or incorrect security setting [much easier than trying to figure out what setting is wrong].

Follow these steps to restore to router and wireless card back to factory defaults:

1. Turn off your computer.
2. Unplug power from your modem.
3. Locate the tiny button or tiny button hole on your router.
4. Hold in this button for 1 minute [may be less but all routers are different]... you can tell if it is restored by all the lights blinking rapidly for a few seconds when the restore takes effect.
5. After the lights quit going crazy let off the button
6. Unplug power from the router [don't mix up the power cords for the modem and router - one can damage the other]
7. Turn back on your pc - leaving the router and modem disconnected from power.
8. Uninstall and reinstall your wireless network card through your Device Manager.
9. After the card is reinstalled and all drivers have been loaded - turn off computer.
10. Plug power back into the cable modem - wait for it reach full sync.
11. Plug power back into the router - wait for it to reach full sync.
12. Turn back on your computer - and connect to your wireless broadcast via the control panel and network connections.
13. Do not add any security just yet - see if you can connect to the internet.

Post back if you still cannot connect to the internet....

djk1289

djk1289

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, it worked!!! Thank you so much, I would never had done it with out you :tazz: Once again Thank you!!!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Glad we could get you up and going again. Geeks To Go Hopes you return in the future.

yeeew

yeeew

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi I am having the same problem and getting the same error message. I have followed the steps but have run into a problem at 10-12

10. Wait to see if you are able to connect.. If you do not get a message saying you cant then you were able to...
11. Close out that screen and go back in the NETWORK CO0NNECTIONS window.
12. Right click on your wireless card. to select STATUS

At 10. i don't receive an error message
but then when i check NETWORK CONNECTIONS it says "not connected"

12. When i try to do this step the popup box will not allow me to select STATUS i can see the word there but it is grey not black if you know what i mean.

Can someone plzzzzzzzzz help me.