Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IDE madness[Resolved]

• Please log in to reply

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Today I re-did all of my wiring in hopes of getting better airflow, when I was done, I put all of my IDE channels back exactly as they were. I rebooted, and got this screen that said "verifying pool DMA data NVIDIA corp ©2004" and it paused for a little bit, and then I got "system disk error".

these are my IDE channels before PC screwup:

IDE 1:
master: HDD
slave:CD-ROM

IDE 2:
master: DVD-ROM
IDE cable 2 is a single link cable. only runs one device.

I did a pretty good job of diagnosis. Windows only boots if the CD-ROM isnt connected, but it will boot if the DVD ROM is on channel 2, not channel 1 on slave, with the HDD on master.

If only the HDD is connected it will still boot.

All of my connections are secure

The floppy drive works

Everything was fine before this

BUT, even if it does boot with the DVD-ROM on the 2nd channel, windows still doenst recognize it and if you press the eject button on the drive nothing happens. The little LED's dont even come on on the drive, but if i connect the CD-ROM where the DVD-ROM is, windows wont boot. I get the same "pool data" screen.

I think it may be some kind of BIOS problem
I know this is very confusing, any help is appreciated.

Edited by mrdrphil007, 22 October 2005 - 04:05 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

When you took the CDROM off of the primary channel & connected it to the secondary channel, did you re-jumper the CDROM to set it as master instead of slave?

Double check the connections on both ends of the IDE cable on the secondary channel & make sure the red stripe on the cable is the right way round. Then go into the bios & see if it detects the drives correctly in there

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Samm- Thanks for the help, but I have rounded cables. no red stripe. I will try it with different cables though.

Have you seen this problem before?

Now that I come to think of it, one of those jumpers is weird about taking the little connector out of the plug on the CD-ROM drive.
I should have went with SATA drives...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you don't have any flat ribbon cables, then use the diagram I've attached to determine the edge where the red stripe (pin1 ) would be.

ide.jpg

When you've determined the edge that denotes Pin1, make sure that this edge of the cables connector is nearest the power connector on the drive (hard drive or optical drive).
On the motherboard IDE port, one end of the port should be marked with a '1' printed on the PCB. The opposite end may or may not have 39/40 marked next to it. Make sure the pin 1 edge of the IDE cable is inserted at the end of the port marked '1'.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant when you said there was a weird jumper on one of the CDROM drives. Could be explain this a bit more clearly please?!

Also, even if you had gone for SATA drives, there's no guarantee that you wouldn't be having problems as CDROM drives are still IDE.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Well the jumper that selects slave on the CD-ROM is a POS. Sometimes the metal clip that is supposed to come out when you pull the plastic retainer out comes off, so essentially what you have is a peice of metal still on the jumpers and a useless little peice of plastic in your hand.

Like I said, Everythimg was working fine with this computer before I rearranged my POWER cables, sorry, should have made that clear, I didnt move around any IDE's, just unplugged them.

There is a SATA dvd drive, I know its not CD-ROM, but it is backwards compatible. If I would have gotten that drive I wouldnt be having this IDE RAID problem!

thanks samm

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If possible, replace the dodgy jumper with one that doesn't come apart!

Can you update me on where you are at with this? i.e does the system boot up ok with the hard drive attached on its own cable?
Basically, with 2 optical drives in the system, you want both of them on the secondary channel anyway. Having one of them on the same channel as a hard drive will slow the system down, so leave the hard drive on its own.

I suggest you try jumpering both optical drives to CS (cable select) them attach both to the secondary channel & see if the bios finds them.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Yes, the computer will boot with only the HDD on master channel 1.

One these days I will actaully get the time to work on this thing...