Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Speech Recognition

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Alright, I downloaded and installed the MS speech recognition agent. I've checked two different third-party programs, and they both tell me it's properly installed.
I remember a long time ago on my old computer before I lost my mic (that I found again yesterday) that speech recognition was only decent after I "trained" it.
Same thing goes for now; it doesn't work too well.

Problem is, the computer doesn't seem to know that speech recognition is installed, since on the "Speech" section of the control panel, there is no "Speech Recognition" tab; only a "Text to Speech"
The microphone works; I can record stuff on the Sound Recorder.
Whats the problem?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to look in Add/Remove programs>Windows components>Accessability, to see if there is anything you need to install for speech.

Triggerr_Happy

Triggerr_Happy

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Here I took this from http://www.wce.wwu.e...Recognition.pdf
This should fix it..
Posted Image

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Good lord, I hate Microsoft.
Triggerr_Happy, I tried your solution, but on step 5, there is no "speech" checkbox for me.
Tyger, as far as I can tell there's nothing in that menu that has to do with speech recognition.

Also I hit the "change/remove" button for the speech recognition in add/remove programs and it just assumed that meant i wanted it deleted, so now I'm redownloading and installing it...I could stab Bill Gates right now.

Thanks again.

Edited by W-Unit, 23 October 2005 - 05:35 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have Office installed then it an option of that

How to install speech recognition
This section describes how to install speech recognition.

How to determine if the speech recognition engine is installed To determine if speech recognition is installed on your computer, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Speech.

2. Look for the Speech Recognition tab. If the Speech Recognition tab is available in Speech Properties, the speech recognition engine is installed. If it is not available, the engine is not installed.

How to install speech recognition from Microsoft Word 2002

1. Start Microsoft Word 2002.

2. On the Tools menu, click Speech. Speech recognition is now available in all Office programs and other programs that it is enabled for such as Microsoft Internet Explorer.

How to install speech recognition by using Add or Remove Programs

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.

2. Click Change or Remove Programs, click Microsoft Office XP, and then click Change.

3. Click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.

4. Under Features to install, double-click Office Shared Features.

5. Double-click Alternative User Input, click Speech, click the down arrow, and then click Run from My Computer.

6. Click Update. Speech recognition is now available in all Office programs and other programs where it is enabled such as Internet Explorer.

How to add speech recognition as a text service

Generally, speech recognition is added automatically as a text service when it is installed. Follow these steps only if you removed speech recognition as a text service and want to re-add it.

To add speech recognition as a text service, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional and Language Options, and then click Regional and Language Options.

2. Click the Languages tab, and then click Details under Text services and input languages.

3. Under Installed services, click Add.

4. In the Input language list, click a language.

5. Select the Speech check box, and then click an option in the list.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I'm one hundred percent sure speech recognition is installed. On occaision, mIRC (the program I'm trying to integrate it to) will recognize my voice, but it usually takes 5 or 6 tries so it's just not really worth the effort. I'm sure it's the Microsoft speech recognition program, too, because I can get several non-microsoft programs to tell me that it's installed and running, but I don't have a Speech Recognition tab in the control panel.
I don't have MS Office, so the Word thing won't work for me.