Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply

ERW

ERW

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,

I use dial-up connection which is good for about 15-20 min then it starts to slow down ALOT.
2-3 mins later it dies completely... Then I have to disconnect and reconnect and the same thing happens.

But it's getting worse, now I have about 5-10 min and it dies completely... Its strange cause this never happened before.

Any help would of course be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try WinsockXPFix near the top

http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

Swagman

Swagman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
What kind of phone do you have? I recall there used to be a problem where the old style Telstra phones would have this effect while you were on the internet. I've no idea of the technical detail but they did something like send a pulse down the line every so often that would disrupt the Internet service. If you have the old Telstra phone this might be the problem? See 3rd para below

Old Phones pulse

Course this is the case for Australia but might apply wherever you are

Edited by Swagman, 16 October 2005 - 05:43 PM.

ERW

ERW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't have Telestra or old style phones but I do use a fax. Now that I've disconnected the wire as well as try the WinsockXPFix the problem seems to have gone. :tazz: That's a very interesting problem I've never heard of it before...

Well thank you soooo much for your help I really appreciate it!