Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to uninstall XP Professional (PC2)

• Please log in to reply

Dean Khatuddin

Dean Khatuddin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am wondering whether anyone could assist to guide me (step by step) on how to uninstall Window XP professional and Microsoft office 2003.

Recently I discovered that the XP professional the Microsoft Office is not legitimate.

I had bought a genuine XP Home and Microsoft Office (both came with certificate and the sticker).

Kindly help me because I’m not sure how to do the installations.

Other software is genuine because I purchase it myself beside XP and Office which came together with the Lap Top and the CD is not genuine (which I though I lost it….which actually in the power bag…..the CD came with out any label or hologram)

Please assists.

Thanks

Dean :) :woot: :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Dean Khatuddin...

For the Microsoft Office 2003. Go to Control Panel and open Add or Remove Programs. Look in the list for Office 2003, select it if it's there, and click remove. (Check to see if XP pro is in the list, too...you may be able to remove it the same way). This is assuming you didn't format the HDD when you installed Pro.

Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

Dean Khatuddin

Dean Khatuddin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Dear Wannabe1,

Thanks for your quick response.

There is none in “add/remove program”.

The XP and Office came preinstall in my Lap Top.

I would like to remove it since I get to know few days ago that it not genuine and replace it it with genuine software.

To tell you the truth if I'm in my country (the place I bought the lap top 2 month ago), I would go to that shop a claim back my money or get them to install the genuine software.

Since I'm 17k KM away from my hometown I have no choice to purchase any new genuine software

Please help me

Thanks
Dean :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Dean...

Do you have a genuine Windows XP installation CD now? If you do, we can go ahead and get you going. If you have any important files on the machine that you wish to keep, you need to back them up to cd-r or other media before beginning.

wannabe1

Dean Khatuddin

Dean Khatuddin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes I have the genuine software.

XP home and Microsoft Office + also came together with the Lap Top is the genuine OS for XP.

I bought ASUS lap top.

Is this Lap Top OK?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok, Dean...

Put the CD in the cd-rom drive and restart your machine. At the prompt "Press any key to boot from cd", press a key.

The next screen will prompt you "To set up Windows now, Press Enter"...Press "Enter"...On the next screen, Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement...The next screen asks you if you if you want to repair the current installation...Press "Esc"

All the existing partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press "D" to delete an existing partition, or press "C" to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space. If you press "D" to delete an existing partition, you must then press "L"(or press ENTER, and then press "L" if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining unpartitioned space, and then press "C" to create the new partition.

Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press "ENTER", or just press "ENTER" to create the partition with the maximum size.

If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press "ENTER". You should only have 1 partition.

Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press "ENTER". Do Not use the quick format...Fat32 or NTFS will both work...NTFS is a little faster.

After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions.

wannabe1

Dean Khatuddin

Dean Khatuddin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Wannabe

Thanks for the guideline...I going to try it this weekend....will e-mail you after that..

Thank you
Dean

MarkDreams

MarkDreams

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
wannabe1
Hi I am reading this with interest. Sometime ago I bought a copy of Partition Magic which resides on my Windows 98 system. That said I know that bu using commands you can partition the HD into Logical / Extended partitions and am aware that there are limitations.
Would it be too much to ask if you have any articles on this subject that would enable me to partition my HD
as the experience would greatly benefit me ....
MarkDreams :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MarkDreams...

You don't say which version of Partition Magic you have, but you might have a look at This Article on using version 5.0. If you'll post back with your version info, I'll see if I can dig up the specific info for you.

wannabe1

Dean Khatuddin

Dean Khatuddin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Wannabe

I do not have any partition magic. Do I need the partition magic to uninstall the XP pack 2 and install XP Home and Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003?

Regards
Din

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Dean Khatuddin...

That post was actually directed at MarkDreams, who also posted to your thread...that's why it's a good idea to start your own thread. I will always start my replies to you with the above salutation.

Have you done as I suggested in post #6?

wannabe1

MarkDreams

MarkDreams

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
wannabe1
Sorry am having problems here. Of late my laptop VB program refused to work. Problem solved as was not finding a dll file. Yes!!! Like it when things get solved. Working on my Main PC (Problem remains unsolved but I have a hunch!) And then my Windows 98 machine decides its had a day! LOL So quite occupied.
Before I forget .. I appologise for posting on anothers thread!
I was asking because I believe in Windows you have the capability to partion the drives using batch scripts or commands from the prompt ... Partion Magic makes it easier to do and more user friendly. I like to learn the hard way ... Hence my reason for asking if you knew.
Oh sorry for delay in replying .... just had insufficient time to reply earlier.
MarkDreams :tazz:

Dean Khatuddin

Dean Khatuddin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Wannabe

I'm almost finish copying all my important file. Hope by today I can do the back up. I read through the NERO CD Burner, there is a back up icon...can I used that icon to back up my file?

If everything is done, by this weekend (copying and back up) I should be able to uninstall the XP proffesional & microsoft office professional and install the new XP home and office 2003 by this next few days.

Regards
Dean

p.s. at the moment I'm using my office PC to communicate with you....

Dean Khatuddin

Dean Khatuddin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Good Morning Wanabbe

I has finished intall the XP Home and Microsoft Office.

I followed according to the step given.

I manged to install back all the software and XP work better.

BUT WHY THERE IS
1. No icon creat automaticly at DESK TOP....
2. I can't install Norton Anti Virus 2005.....AFTER THE INSTALATION SCREEN, I PRESS SET UP...AFTER LESS THE 1/4 DURING SET UP PROCESS THE NORTON ANTI VIRUS SYSTEM PROMPTING "INSTALLATION IS FAILED {YOU CAN TRY OR CANCEL THIS ACTIVITY. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT WWW.SYMANTEC.COM.INSTAL}".............Why is that so.

QUESTION (WHY)
1. There is still the old file / documents / data in C & D Drive....I THOUGHT ALL WILL BE ERASE / DELETED WHEN NEW XP BEEN INSTALL....THERE IS NONE IN ADD/REMOVE or DESK TOP. IT APEAR EMPTY BUT AFTER GOING TO C & D Drive I FOUND OUT THERE IS STILL FILE / SOFTWARE / DOCUMENT AND DATA IN IT.
2. There is still the previous sofware in C & D Drive...but this software is not in "add/remove"
3. How to creat a recovery disk
4. How to remove all the software, data, document from previous installation (XP Window Pro / Office Pro 2003 + other sofware that been install previously)
5. Do I do it wrongly....is YES how can I re do it again....
6. I created a back up file...how to install it.

BELOW IS THE COMMENT I MAKE BASE ON THE INSTRUCTION

Put the CD in the cd-rom drive and restart your machine. At the prompt "Press any key to boot from cd", press a key................I FOLLOW ACCORDINGLY...ALL WORKED WELL

The next screen will prompt you "To set up Windows now, Press Enter"...Press "Enter"...................I FOLLOW ACCORDINGLY...ALL WORKED WELL

On the next screen, Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement...................I FOLLOW ACCORDINGLY...ALL WORKED WELL

The next screen asks you if you if you want to repair the current installation...Press "Esc"......IT DOES NOT GO TO THIS SCREEN. I GOES STRAIGHT TO PARTITION SCREEN.....HENCE NOT ABLE TO PRESS "ESC"

All the existing partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press "D" to delete an existing partition, or press "C" to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space. If you press "D" to delete an existing partition, you must then press "L"(or press ENTER, and then press "L" if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining unpartitioned space, and then press "C" to create the new partition......I DO NOT DELETED ANY PARTITION OR CREAT A NEW PARTITIONDO I NEED TO DELET THIS AN CREAT A NEW FILE...SHOULD ASK YOU EARLIER ABOUT THIS......

Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press "ENTER", or just press "ENTER" to create the partition with the maximum size.....I DO NOT THIS THIS BECAUSE I DO NOT CREAT A NEW PARTION

If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press "ENTER". You should only have 1 partition......I FLLLOWED ACCORDING. I USED THE ARROW TO PARTION C

Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press "ENTER". Do Not use the quick format...Fat32 or NTFS will both work...NTFS is a little faster.............I FLLLOWED ACCORDING. I USED THE ARROW TO SELECT FAT32

After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions..............I FLLLOWED ACCORDING. I USED THE ARROW TO SELECT FAT32

Dean Khatuddin

Dean Khatuddin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Wnnabe.

Me again...Sorry earlier I press the SEND (ADD REPLY) to fast

1. My worries is the illigitmate software still in the system.

2. Can I repeat the whole process again....almost toward the end of the set up process XP Home system asked me to conect to internet for varification. I did that

FYI...I send this through my office computer because I not sure whether is ok to on the internet without the Anti Virus