Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor flickers

• Please log in to reply

Granny2643

Granny2643

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Only this message shows in a box in the middle of the screen. No desktop, no start button, etc.

OUT OF FREQUENCY
HF:28.6KHz
VF: 54.0 OHz

OPERATING FREQUENCY
HF: 30>OKHz
VF: 51>120Hz

POWER SAVER AFTER
15 SECONDS (then it starts to count down to zero and the screen goes blank).

My 11 year old grandson was attempting to make the picture fit the screen when this happened. It was too small and he was making it larger. I think he was in the control panel.

Found computer (Gateway 2000) in garbage and it worked yesterday. Have no manuals to help us fix the problem. Floppy disk not working, no connection to the internet. I am using my own computer to get in touch with you.

If you could offer and help I would truly appreciate it. Thank you.

Advertisements

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, seems you have Windows 95. It could be either your Video Card or... something is loose in the motherboard. did you just find that Gateway in the trash as in you had it stored somewhere or... were you given it from a person?

Edited by Inu-Ya, 16 October 2005 - 04:11 PM.

Granny2643

Granny2643

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was found in the trash and worked until my grandson fiddled with it.

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

It was found in the trash and worked until my grandson fiddled with it.

Well, why bother messing with it? The Specs. to what I know out of a gateway 2000 are very low. Probably like 200MHZ with 32 too... 64MB of RAM and with a crapper graphics card of course. I'm guessing you just what that computer for Doc. and surfing the Web?!

Your better off just throwing it away if it's not of good use. But as I said it may be the monitor or.. the video card.

P.S - Your grandson might of been adjusting the Wigth and Hight of the screen as depending on the Res. on the Video Card. but could it ever boot into Windows?

Edited by Inu-Ya, 16 October 2005 - 06:04 PM.

Granny2643

Granny2643

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My grandson was adjusting height and width, trying to make it larger to fit the screen. Also, it used to boot into Windows just fine. Can't afford a new computer. The kids were using it to play games on the cd rom.

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

My grandson was adjusting height and width, trying to make it larger to fit the screen. Also, it used to boot into Windows just fine. Can't afford a new computer. The kids were using it to play games on the cd rom.

Do you know what video card is installed within the computer?
Is the monitor new or old?
I'm off now but will be back later on to check back.

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
if its the video card you could go to some place like ebay or something to buy a different one for cheaper than what a new one would cost. if its not anything like that couldnt you just erase the hard drive and reinstall windows on it.

Granny2643

Granny2643

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for trying to help me. I can't erase the hard drive and I don't have any disks to reinstall anything. I appreciate all your efforts.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
let's debug the monitor.

can you borrow a monitor from one of you grandson's friends? if you can connect another monitor and it works, then you need a monitor. otherwise see if one of your grandson's friends can loan you a video card to test. and while you're checking with his friends, see if one of them or their parents are computer saavy. you might get lucky and find someone with a garage full of useless parts(for them) but invaluable for you. and they may be willing to help install any parts.