Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Doesn't Work! And have an unwanted toolbar

• Please log in to reply

haterofallads

haterofallads

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My internet explorer doesn't work! Please help. I can't get onto any sites and I'm currently using a friend's laptop. I keep on getting program error made by SAcc.exe and others. I had also gain a toolbar call the TN search, probably Ztoolbar. I don't know how or where to start!

Advertisements

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
im not quite sure how to fix your problem. but you could have viruses on your computer or spyware but im not sure. if you dont ever fix it if you dont have anything important onyour computer you could just erase your hard drive and reinstall windows or something like that.

haterofallads

haterofallads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well, i did went to a website and it started to give me all these ads. So I do think it's a virus or something. And i keep on getting unwanted favorites and programs on my desktop. I can't erase my harddrive because it does has some very documents and folders......

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
if thats the case where you getting all of those popups and getting all of those unwanted favorites than you probally have a virus or something. to get rid of spyware you could get "spybot search and destroy" and or "lavasoft adaware" and they are free.

haterofallads

haterofallads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried lavasoft adware, but it froze.

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
oh, what about spybot search and destroy?

haterofallads

haterofallads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't have one, and since i can't get on the internet on the computer...i don't think i can download it. Right now, i'm trying to use lavasoft adware again. I really have no clue how to fix it :tazz:

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
do you have a virus scanner like norton antivirus or anything like that?

haterofallads

haterofallads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i never got to install one....

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
so you dont have a virus scanner or do you but havent installed it yet?

Advertisements

haterofallads

haterofallads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Right now, i'm installing CCleaner. The only other programs I have are CWshredder and Cleanup! And it seems like lavasoft Ad-ware is not freezing anymore.

I'll be back. Thanks for putting your time for me. I also found alot of the problem is cause by istbar. Just in case you know something about it...

Edited by haterofallads, 16 October 2005 - 07:47 PM.

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
thats good that adaware isint freezing. even if you fix it it might be a good idea to buy a virus scanner so you know that there arent any viriuses on your computer.

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
well if the ist bar thing is causing it it might be an installed program on you computer so you might beable to uninstall it in the control panel in the add remove programs menu.

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
yeah istbar isint a good toolbar to have. because on some websites that i looken on about it it said that it will give you a bunch of popups and crap like that and will install third-party adware and spyware on the computer.

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Um here is some info that i got about how to remove it if the add remove programs menu one dosent work. this info off a different website also>

Removal
There is a entry in Add/Remove Programs for ‘MS AUpdate’ (AUpdate variant), ‘MS Updates’ (MSCache variant), or ‘ISTbar’ (ISTbar variant). In the MSCache variant it does not appear to work at all.

Ad-Aware reflist 20.04.2003 and Spybot S&D update 2003-04-24 can remove ISTbar/AUpdate.

Manual removal
AUpdate variant
Open the registry (click ‘Start’, choose ‘Run’ and enter ‘regedit’) and find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the ‘AutoUpdater’ entry on the right (pointing to aupdate.exe). Find the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID, and delete the subkey ‘{69550BE2-9A78-11D2-BA91-00600827878D}’. Delete the subkey of the same name from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars, and the entry of the same name from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar.

Restart the computer and you should be able to delete the files ‘aupdate.exe’, ‘aupdate.conf’, ‘aupdate.trk’ and (if it is there) ‘aupdate_uninstall.exe’ from the System folder. (The System folder can be found inside the Windows folder; it is called ‘System32’ on Windows NT/2000/XP or just ‘System’ on Windows 95/98/Me.)

Finally you can restore your normal search settings (Internet Options->Programs->Reset Web Settings)

MSCache variant
Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u ../mscache.dll
Next, open the registry (click ‘Start’, choose ‘Run’ and enter ‘regedit’) and find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the ‘MS Updates’ entry on the right (pointing to mscache.exe). Find the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID, and delete the subkey ‘{69550BE2-9A78-11D2-BA91-00600827878D}’. Delete the subkey of the same name from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars, and the entry of the same name from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar.

Restart the computer and you should be able to delete the files ‘mscache.exe’, and ‘mscache.dll’ from the Windows folder

Finally you can restore your normal search settings (Internet Options->Programs->Reset Web Settings)

XXXToolbar variant
Open the registry (click ‘Start’, choose ‘Run’ and enter ‘regedit’) and find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the ‘IST Service’ entry, if it is there. (Some early releases of XXXToolbar did not include this.)

Open a DOS command prompt window (form Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u "\Program Files\ISTbar\istbar.dll"
Restart the computer and you should be able to delete the ‘ISTbar’ folder inside Program Files, and the ‘istsvc.exe’ file inside the Windows folder. You can also delete the registry keys HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ISTbar and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Pugi.PugiObj (and .1) to clean up if you like.

Edited by shotgun, 16 October 2005 - 08:30 PM.