Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update problem?

• Please log in to reply

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Ok This all started with a shutdown, followed by a windows update. previous to this, I had 2 moniters hooked up to the g-card. then I shut down and moved the comp to a friends. I started up...POST, OS, then login (the colors are all effed up) then I get to my desktop with no icons and it is really low brightness. then 3 seconds later it crashes and the moniter goes blank. the comp is still on tho. then i restart and thistime it starts loading the os, then crashes...same thing except nologin or desktop. When i bring it back home, same thing (after hooking up the other moniter again just to make sure its under the same conditions). so now i decide to reinstall win XP. The setup says the last install is dammaged so I procede to repair and go through the steps of the install. this finishes and restarts. POST, OS flashes for a split second, then a BSOD flashes for a split second, then the "windows hasnot logged on proporly, sorrt for the inconvienience" message and restart. does this over and over so I just shut it down. now im on my laptop. I immediatly though it was the update, other than that, im clueless. Any help would begreatly appreciated!
Nixx

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Have you tried a repair install it might get things up and running. It will also remove all windows updates.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
A repair install isn't going to help if an OS reinstall didn't set things right. I assume you went into device mgr and checked for errors, and in the Control Panel under Display check settings. You will probably have to do this in Safe Mode.

Johanna

nixx

nixx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I tried safe mode with networking which didnt help...ill try regualr safe mode when I get home. If i reinstall windows again, will it delete any saved info I have on there like files and stuff? Do you thing trying a new graphics card would help?