Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MSN and restore problem

• Please log in to reply

jaber

jaber

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I'll get the puter I'm using out of the way then the prob.
HP pavilion 751 Pentium IV, 2 GIGHZ, 120 GIG hard drive w/ 80% free space, 512 RAM, Running XP, SP2
Windows fire wall is off at all times. protected with ZoneAlarm fire wall, Virus protection by McAfee.
My problem: I did a 'remove' SETI via the Add/Remove routine. Since then I have not been able to sign into MSN or Windows messenger. Also can not do a restore. When I try doing a restore it tells me that I can't do one as nothing has changed.
I have run my scans for virus several times and found only cookies (which I delete regularly). Erased Temp internet files and history files regularly. cleared the trash files from the hard drive and several defrags.
OK...Solutions???

Jay

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello jaber...

Just for the sake of troubleshooting, turn the Zone Alarm firewall off and the Windows firewall on and try to connect to your websites.

wannabe1

jaber

jaber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just did that. No joy.

Didn't mean to sound flippant.

OK, I've done that. (disabled the firewall and XP firewall). As I used to program main frames many years ago I know basically the operation of puters. These PCs are so different yet so much like main frames, they scare me. In other words I'm lost when doing things to my system.

The problem showed up after I deleted the SETI program. I have heard rumors that it may have corrupted or deleted a 'run.dll' .Is there anyway I can check this.

Jay

Edited by jaber, 17 October 2005 - 02:57 PM.

jaber

jaber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi All,

OK. I use DSL.
Today I uninstalled and re-installed MSN. I used the Add/Uninstall feature provided by XP. I am now able to sign into MSN but still have not tried to use it. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to try it tonight.
Still don't know if that solved my other problem of not being able to restore to an earlier date. I may not get the opportunity to try that for several months.
Jay :tazz:

jaber

jaber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you all for your help. I have now solved at least part of my problem. My MSN appears to be working properly.
Jay