Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2K - sorting folders

• Please log in to reply

richardca

richardca

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
:) Dear All,

Nutshell: Dialogue with brother which I save in a folder. What I'd like to do is sort that folder so that items appear in chronological order, regardless of their sent/received status. Please can anyone out there tell me how to do it? I bet you can! Thank you.javascript:emoticon(':tazz:', 'smid_19')smilie

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you should just need to click on the "aranged by" column underneath where it lists the current folder and it's emails

richardca

richardca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Dsenette, but I can't find the "arranged by" column. There's a bar above the dispayed files; by selecting those headings, the list will sort by any of those icons. But a sort on "received" simply sorts those received by date, not those sent, beside each of which is the word "none".

Am I missing something?

richardca

richardca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
:) Reckon I've cracked it. Downloaded Thunderbird, transferred the files across and, yes, it'll sort by date!

Only reason I use Outlook is to stay "mainstream" and keep it on my CV. But nobodys going to give me an admin job at my age and I owe nothing to Mr Gates so.......

But once again, thanks for your help and kind attention. :tazz:

Boostman

Boostman

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Even though you have switched to Thunderbird(Kudos!), this should have been accomplished by clicking on the "Received" heading in that folder which would sort by chronological order.

Other headings should include "From", "Subject", "Size", etc. which can all be clicked to sort by that heading.

Hope this helps someone.

richardca

richardca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
You are both, of course, absolutely right. :)

But I'm a bit right too! :woot:

When I moved all my messages from the "sent" to "amalgum" folder, those messages lost their date tag; under the "received" column, each entry displays "none", hence they wouldn't sort :woot:

However, I've just attempted to move an odd file, using the Manage function, and its retained the date :tazz:

What I like about Outlook is its integration e.g. I can select a contact and there's a log of correspondence and no excuse for losing touch. It also has the calender which is handy. Yes, I'll miss it, but if it drives a nail into the MS coffin I'll do without their appaling behaviour.

Award yourselves a warm glowey feeling and thank you everso for your kindness.