Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe problems

• Please log in to reply

MattW

MattW

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all

Right then, my computer recently got infected with various spyware and to remove I ran Spybot Search and Destroy. Detected around 100 entries <gulp> but managed to remove around 80 straight away. The remaining 20, the program reported, needed a restart to remove. I duly rebooted and on login Spybot ran and removed the remaining entries. Brilliant, I thought and proceeded to carry on as normal.

Big mistake.

The next time I booted up the PC and clicked on my user ID to log in as normal, I'm met with the following error:

Title - "explorer.exe - Application Error"
Messagebody - "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Oh dear.

So I click ok, and it appears again. I click it again and this time it disappears leaving just the (unclickable) login screen. I Ctrl-Alt-Delete and can get to task manager ok but if I do File, New Task and type explorer it just gives the same error.

I am able to run everything else from here, I can run iexplore successfully and through this both connect to the internet, and browse my hard disks. I can also run all programs as normal including anti virus software, spyware programs, and even my games. The workstation appears to have full functionality, other than explorer not running.

Looking through a few websites there was mention of wininet.dll being corrupted as a possible cause. Going on this, I downloaded a clean copy, replaced the one in my system32\dllcache with it, and rebooted. This, alas, made no difference and explorer.exe is still erroring.

Therefore has anybody got any ideas on how I can sort this problem out? At the end of the day I have the option of rebuilding the workstation as I can backup my data with no problems, but I'd like to avoid going through that whole rigmarole if possible

Many thanks for your time

Matt.

Edited by MattW, 17 October 2005 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
First off, I like the fact this was written in narrative form. Makes it sooooo much easier to read. :tazz:

Let's go through the patented "G2G First Step of XP Repair":

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

MattW

MattW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply Guse.

I've run the sfc /scannow command with the XP CD in the PC and rebooted but unfortunately, I still have the same fault.

What else could I try?

Cheers

Matt

Edited by MattW, 18 October 2005 - 09:49 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Step Two of the G2G XP Repair

Try here

XP Repair Install

Or here

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

MattW

MattW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply Keith; alas I'm unable to carry out that action. The reason? I don't get the option to repair the install :tazz:

I boot from the CD, go through the whole "preparing to install" blue screens before arriving at a screen with the following three options:

- To set up Windows XP on the selected item press Enter
- To create a new partion in the unpartioned space C
- To delete the selected partition press D

I have 2 partitions on the disk - C: for the OS install and D: for games installs and general storage. I therefore selected the top option to set up Win XP on my C: drive. Rather than then giving me the option to repair, I'm met with the following screen and options:

CAUTION A \WINDOWS folder already exists that may contain a windows installation. If you continue the existing windows installations will be overwritten.
All folders, subfolders, user accounts, applications, security and desktop settings for the windows installation will be deleted. "My Documents" may also be deleted.

- To use and delete the existing windows installation press L
- To use a different folder press ESC
- To quit setup press F3

Obviously I don't want to obliterate my data so I quit at that point. Do you have any suggestions as to how else I can run the repair option you mentioned in your post, or is there anything else that may be worth giving a go?

Thanks very much

Matt

Edited by MattW, 18 October 2005 - 04:26 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get this with the alternative repair / Windows installation cd method as well

MattW

MattW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I do, at no stage do I get the option to repair, I don't even get the option to access the recovery console :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not sure if this applies or if it applies whenever the Language ID of the repair and OS do not match

SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer from the Hebrew version of the Windows XP CD-ROM, the To Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option may be unavailable.
CAUSE
This issue may occur if you try to use the Hebrew version of the Windows XP CD-ROM to repair your localized Windows XP installation. In this scenario, the To Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option is unavailable because the language ID of the repair option and the language ID of the installed operating system do not match.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

You could also try getting the set up discs to see if it will open recovery console, (it may be something with the XP CD you have, if so, the boot discs would confirm this and then you can get Microsoft to replace the XP CD).

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

MattW

MattW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hmmm, not sure about the language ID, I'm using the same CD that I used to install XP in the first place so I'd expect they will match.

I'll have a read through the MS articles you've linked to and see if I can get anywhere with those.

Thanks for all your help :tazz:

Matt