Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista will not go

• Please log in to reply

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hi guys, just thought i would stat my opinions on vista

so far from what i have seen all vista is, is a ram sucking version of xp with a search that doesn't work yet and windows that fade out and become anyoing (we saw this in office 2003)

also as for better organiztion it just looks cluttered

i have os x tiger and love it is clean, fast and reliable. all i can say about vista is that microsoft is behind apple plans to release a whole new os before mic. gets theirs out so can't say it will be juast a little behind mac by that time it will be like xp and tiger only, vista and lepord

tell me what you think

Edited by Josiah, 17 October 2005 - 03:55 PM.

Advertisements

Danny

Danny

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
Hi,

Many people get have different opinons about different software. I for one, like OSX, and Windows. This might turn into a very big debate. Hopefully not, because many people may dissagree with you.

Thanks for sharing,

Danny :tazz:

Edited by Danny, 18 October 2005 - 09:48 AM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
just too bad that many people depend on 3 different os's

it would be really cool if there could be some sort of runtime environment like java, but more powerfull, and more popular, that every program made could be run on every operating system with ease. then we could stick to which operating system we like best. i like mac os, the look, the simplicity. i like windows's compatability, and i like the concept of linux and how it is free, and none of these "activation issues" when you try to replace your motherboard or anything. and no company trying to dominate everything.

but i know microsoft will try to own everything, and will never make a move for programs to be completely cross platform

too bad.

thanks for your info

-thebinaryman

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the main drawback to OSX is that it runs on mac hardware.....can't avoid that..

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
i think all of you guys are right i run windows and would like to try lunic as well. no one know what vista will be like but i think "it will not go" that is my opinion and i like hearing yours!

Danny

Danny

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
[quote][quote]i think all of you guys are right i run windows and would like to try lunic as well. no one know what vista will be like but i think "it will not go" that is my opinion and i like hearing yours![/quote]

Great that you want to try linux. I recommend Ubuntu. It is easy to install and use.

My opinion on vista....hmm..it seems good, but M$ is probably just way ahead of the crowd. I think they are expecting too much of users to buy the pcs. I think the OS is good...but the PC's to run it on cost too much. I'll just wait untill pc's like that...become like around >$600

Danny :tazz:

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
i like mac because it is a good os (but it is expensive) i think window should keep the cheep computer market which they do well in and not make their stuff too much$

Edited by Josiah, 19 October 2005 - 05:24 AM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
each day i try to cut another rope that ties me to window$. if vista is a flop, and microsoft trys to put updates to xp that makes it "out of your control" (read the news articles about tcpa, and the sony music cd scandal), then i will need to completely switch to linux. just the other day, i stoped using msn, and i told all my contacts that they will have to use aim if they want to contact me. a little exagerated and obsessed? yes. but i would really love to leave micro$oft for good.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
MS are the best at what they do its unavoidable. They have been at the game longer than anyone else and have all the worlds best and brightest working on Vista and all the new products that are going with it, its going to be a good OS no matter what, it has to be because if it isnt then we will know that the OS has gone as far as it will go and that would be bad.

Even the hardware needed to run it isnt overly excessive when you look at it, computer technology develops at an accelerating pace not a steady one there is more technology coming out this year than there was in the previous two and the year after more again etc. etc.

steinjared

steinjared

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Great that you want to try linux. I recommend Ubuntu. It is easy to install and use.

Got that right :tazz: Linux Ubuntu is a very good choice.

Congrats to me, first post on this message board haha.

Advertisements

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I heard that to push users on Windows Vista, XP Pro, & more expensive new software; Microsoft is closing updates for XP in about 3 months.

I recommend to upgrade to Opera browser, or preferrably mozzila firefox. Use thunderbird for E-mail. If you continue to use microsoft products, especially for communication--with no more updates hackers will find too many ways to compromise it.

DON"T USE MICROSOFT FOR YOUR COMMUNICATION NEEDS! :tazz: :) :) :woot:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
MS arent stopping updates for XP, and they arent stopping updates for IE onyl moving to a new version, dont know where you are getting your info but its wrong. They have stopped supporting win2k maybe you are getting confused with that

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
they still make updates for win98. or at least still offer them. either way i wouldnt be too worried about hackers. i think people are just too paranoid. i have never gotten spam. really i havent. and i have had less than 10 viruses in my life, and those were of the kind that just sit there. they never even got a chance to run due to avg free edition. if people are just sensible about who they give thier email address to, and what sites they go to, there is no need to worry about security.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dude i truly doubt that, have you tried using adaware and spybot, its a near impossibilty not to get anything on even an incredibly secure system.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i didnt use adaware, but i have used spybot, and (though i probably exagerated a little) i rarely get anything serious. if i download a file with a virus without knowing it, avg imediatley catches it and deletes it. plus, i do anything risky on linux, so its harder to harm. but regardless of my history with viruses and such, i still think people are a bit too worried than they have to be.

Edited by Thebinaryman, 17 January 2006 - 02:34 PM.