Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista will not go

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
One thing is I am wondering, Windows Vista is going to be a 64-bit system correct? Don't AMD processors run better on 64-bit systems, or can they just handle it like 32-bit systems? I have an AMD Anthlon 64 X2 4200+ and just somewhat want to know. :tazz:

Also, I have heard great things about IE 7 over IE 6, do think its going to better?

Edited by Comrade General, 17 January 2006 - 10:09 PM.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yes they run much better on 64-bit os's. i believe, but am not sure that vista will be 64-bit, i think they had better, if they want to have a chance to survive competition.

i dont think ie 7 will be much better, except more annoying security features. firefox is the way to go, most can agree with that.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

yes they run much better on 64-bit os's. i believe, but am not sure that vista will be 64-bit, i think they had better, if they want to have a chance to survive competition.

i dont think ie 7 will be much better, except more annoying security features. firefox is the way to go, most can agree with that.

But I have IE 7 is a major improvement from IE 6, but I guess it will be people's opinion.

Also, I always heard that Windows Vista was gonna be a 64-bit system.

Oh man, I am spelling things weird today... When I was first typing "I always heard..." I wrote in weird for always... Need coffee now.

Edited by Comrade General, 17 January 2006 - 10:01 PM.

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

They are only moving to a new version, dont know where you are getting your info but its wrong. They have stopped supporting win2k maybe you are getting confused with that

:tazz: Whatever. I got my information from a trusted family member. But you guys believe what you want to believe.

Besides if you have XP Pro you're okay.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

:tazz: Whatever. I got my information from a trusted family member. But you guys believe what you want to believe.
Besides if you have XP Pro you're okay.

Products Released: Windows 2000 Professional Edition
General Availability Date: 3/31/2000
Mainstream Support Retired: 6/30/2005
Extended Support Retired: 6/30/2010
Service Pack Retired: Not Applicable
Notes: (None)

Products Released: Windows XP Professional
General Availability Date: 12/31/2001
Mainstream Support Retired: Review Note
Extended Support Retired: Review Note
Service Pack Retired: Not Applicable
Notes: Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released. Extended support will end five years after mainstream support ends.

* Mainstream support includes all the support options and programs that customers receive today, such as no-charge incident support, paid incident support, support that is charged on an hourly basis, support for warranty claims, and hotfix support. After mainstream support ends, extended support will be offered for Business and Development software.

** Extended support includes all paid support options and security-related hotfix support that is provided at no charge. Hotfix support that is not security-related requires a separate extended hotfix support contract to be purchased within 90 days after mainstream support ends. Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the extended support phase.

Sources:
2000: http://support.micro...ecycle/?p1=3071
XP: http://support.micro...ecycle/?p1=3223

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Vista will be by default a 64 bit OS, but the cut down version is going to be 64bit microsoft at the moment as far as i know still plan to have a multiple release of the OS tailored to users more than just the home and pro of previous windows(there will be a specific one for gamers as well from what ive heard).

IE7 should be much better if it isnt i think someone should ask what al the software engineers are doing with there time. Im confortable with firefoxits set up for me and its intuitive to me and he way i browse, however i wont say i wont use IE7, it might be great and ill certainly use it if they chcuk the thrid party toolbars(in fact i would use it if they would make it look and feel like firefox, its FFs biggest advantage it has a more common sense and functional layout if IE could imitate it i would switch.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i dont like how on ie, when you download something, it will block the download until you say that your 1,000,000,000% sure that you want to download the file, if thats security, i dont want it, its just a hassle. also, i like the extensions for firefox, and like warriorscot said the layout is nicer. tab browsing a plus, as well as themes. but all in all, cosmetic differences dont make it all that much better. idk. i just feel at home in firefox.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Great that you want to try linux. I recommend Ubuntu. It is easy to install and use.

My opinion on vista....hmm..it seems good, but M$ is probably just way ahead of the crowd. I think they are expecting too much of users to buy the pcs. I think the OS is good...but the PC's to run it on cost too much. I'll just wait untill pc's like that...become like around >$600

Danny :tazz:

Thats not true. I have it running on a system I built for $300. And it runs perfectly fine. *shrugs* Everyone in here says it's system requirements are so huge but they really aren't. It runs fine on a 2.6 pentium celleron with onboard video and 1 gig of RAM Nothing special at all. The drives aren't even SATA. And by the way....I Like the organization. Way better then the pop up menues in XP. Seems much more orginized and easy to follow to me....but again. Thats personal opinion....Say what you like Vista has my vote for second best opperating system behind wiondows 2000 pro.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
have you heard about TCPA, and about sony music cd issue?

sony has put rootkits on music cds to try to "take controll" of your computer. vista allows them to do this, where as other operating systems dont. once in controll, they can only "allow" you to run programs that they like, and disallow everythign else, and if you want to run other programs, then you cant have a sony music cd in your computer. this is all to prevent ripping of sony music cds, but also invades our privacy. do you want sony, or in the future other companies to control your computer for you, and make descisions for you, and do whatever the [bleep] they want? its your computer not thiers.

What the...? why is "h e double sticks" blocked?

Edited by Thebinaryman, 31 January 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I've never heard of that before...and if it comes on Sony CD's that are bought in a store without a warning about such things then they are looking at a hefty law suit not too long in the future. Be realistic. No one is putting hijack software on storebaught CD's without telling you. And I'll believe it when I see documented proof and not just a consipracy theorist website telling me so. How do you know Vista allows it if Vista isn't released to the general public yet? And where did you get this info?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
old news to us on here, i cant beleive you didnt see any of it on the news there was a big class action against sony they settled in the US out of court and released a patch to remove it and a similar product they used earlier which did something similar.

Although it didnt "take control" it just wouldnt let you rip cds more than 5 times or something or make more than one copy, the biggest thing was it could be used by viruses to enter your pc. Like i said its old news now they got in a fair amount fo bother for it though at the time they still have several court actions pending against them for it.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Oh I saw it. I also head about the law suit not long ago where they refused to put the opperating system and recovery disks in their packaging with the computers and made you pay a fee to get it from them. Way to go Sony.....*grumbles* I have major issues with that company. But in any case they got sued and things are better now. Accept last week I had to replace a drive in a Vaio. It was a Sata configuration and (of course) there was no Raid Driver for the thing. NOT to mention, there was no place for a floppy drive on the motherboard and the XP setup won't let you load the Raid from a CD. Way to go Sony....you've really made my job easy. Stupid company anyhow.