Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2003 saved document icon problem?

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Hi,

I have office 2003 and i have gone through every application and saved documents. When i go to my documents, i can see all the saved document icons like the access one etc.

But with the excel, word and powerpoint saved files, the image icon is just like A white page with a blue window inside with 6 little colored dots.

How can i get the excel, word and powerpoint icons to show?

Advertisements

Boostman

Boostman

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
When you right-click one of these icons and go to "properties", under the "general" tab does it state it opens with Microsoft Office Excel for example?

If not maybe you need to associate the file types to the respected program, maybe you had another progam like OpenOffice or something at one time that overwrote the value.

If it is opening with the correct program then just try changing the icon by going to the "shortcut" tab and then clicking on the "Change Icon" button. Select the correct icon and that should be it then.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
I have downloaded this program called icon changer. I changed all the icons to the correct ones, but as its a trial it was limited to 3 changed icons. So i uninstalled it and now the icons dont display. (only the excel, word and powerpoint).

How do i go to the "shortcut" tab and then click on the "Change Icon" button?

Boostman

Boostman

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Seems I was working off a shortcut document. Sorry about that!

Make sure your file is associated with the proper program first like I explianed in the first part of my reply.

You might just have to go to Control Panel --> Folder Options --> File Types --> Find file ext, such as XLS for Excel, and select it --> Click Advanced button --> Click Change Icon button

That should do it for you, just select the icon you want for it. Hope thats explaines it better now.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Thanks!!!

I have tried that and it works. But the thing is all my other file icons like an excel add in etc (this goes for ALL my office files). When i open it up on that icon changer and click advanced, only a few say, open, new, print etc. And a few months ago i installed open office org. (this program like office), and it works out that all my word icons still run on that and still try to open, print using that software. But i deleted that software ages ago! Some of the word icons are missing aswell like in the big list there is no icon for wps so i had to create it.

Basically every office icon is messed up!!!

Shall i just uninstall the whole of office 2003 and then reinstall it all again?

Boostman

Boostman

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
It honestly wouldn't hurt to try a reinstall of Office. It's a painless process and should fix this issue hopefully by reassociating itself with those files.

Post back your results.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Right, i am uninstalling office now, i gotta go to play badminton soon so i shall install it and leave it running while i am at badminton and let you know what happends tonight.

:tazz:

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Well, i have installed office again!

Every icon works appart from all the word icons!!!

I look in the big icon list and there is no icons for word at all?

Ive got all the word icons, and on the list i click new and type WPS (for a word document) put the icon image up and the icons for the word documents are still gone???

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Everything is fixed now!!!

I noticed that word documents are .doc not .wps

Thanks for all your help!!! :tazz:

Boostman

Boostman

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes I meant to post that back to you about the WPS being for Microsoft Works, not Word.

Glad to see it all works now for you.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Now i have a little problem with fireworks documents?

The extention is .PNG , and i cant get it to open in fireworks?

I have set the correct icon image for it and when i right click on it, then click open with, then choose program.

I click select a program from a list.

It loads a list of programmes on my pc. Fireworks is not on there. So i click browse, go to c, then program files, then macromedia, then fireworks 8, then i click on the fireworks application and it doesnt put fireworks on the list?