Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whistling computer

• Please log in to reply

sbcwiley

sbcwiley

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello.

My computer has started to make an unusual, and annoying, whistling sound.

It sounds sort of like a very high-pitched, rapid morse code message being transmitted via radio, but it doesn't seem to be a coherent message. It isn't terribly loud, although when it is quiet in the room it can be heard from 15-20 feet away.

I can't tell what part of the computer this sound is coming from, or if it is associated with any particular processes being run. It can be heard frequently when we aren't using the computer, though.

Any ideas about what might be causing this, and if it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
:tazz:

Advertisements

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
it could be a not to tight screw hold your fan to your case or a deadspot on your mfan motor or and this is a very bad and drastic one one of your transformers or smoothing capacitors in your power supply hopefully its none of the above and im talking bull lol but i have been a tv engineer in my past life

good luck mate :tazz:

mike

sbcwiley

sbcwiley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks, Mike.

Those seem like plausible explanations.

It sounds more electronic than mechanical, though...like I'm hearing some audio version of signals being transmitted through the cable modem... :tazz:

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
if it sounds more electronic you may have a missing earth somewhere which once again could be in the psu or on the cable link board ;) :thumbsup: ....just remember to earth yourself before attempting anything lol. :cheers:

good luck mate

mike :tazz:

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
hey you say it has a cable conn ...is that connected to the phone and/or tv if so get the cable company to run a check on the cable conn to these it might have a transmission fault which has nothing to do with the actual computer just thought of that after i had finished the previous message doooh is me lol

mike :tazz:

sbcwiley

sbcwiley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Good suggestions--thanks again! :tazz:
Steve

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Defective capacitors will make a whistling sound. I would check all capacitors on the motherboard, power supply and all cards....

sbcwiley

sbcwiley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks, macten. :tazz: