Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed KB896688 and now my NIC doesn't work :(

• Please log in to reply

imafoxx

imafoxx

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey...I am running WINXP Pro SP2, I installed Windows XP KB896688 from the 'automatic updates' on friday...this morning I logon...all is great...I figure I'll do my reboot...to complete the installs from Friday...boots up ok...but won't connect to my LAN and internet. AND there is a new PCI Device found...I have no idea what that is. I have network adapters showing up... Broadband 440x 10/100 integrated controller - packet scheduler miniport (not sure what that is) :tazz: I have spent all day trying to figure this out...I've uninstalled and reinstalled etc.

is there a way to uninstall the KB896688? or alternatively...the lights are on when I plug in my network cable...this means it's connecting and it's some other issue correct?

I've also tried burning the latest driver onto a cd from another computer and installing it...and that didn't work either. i am at a loss.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can go to add / remove, tick show updates and find it there

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

Let me say there are some sever issues with some of the new Windows updates...:

[quote] Some of the side effects reported from Tuesday's patches include

Instability of email client on AOL's service.
Failure of some web sites to load.
Scripting errors and access denied errors.
Perpetual rebooting, even in safe mode.

In addition, one of our associates reported the following on his "heavily adjusted XP box" ...

Following reboot, XP did come alive. But with problems aplenty
- Welcome screen now echoes loading of user profile (auto logonadmin).
- App requiring admin credentials won't launch (not authorized error).
- Policy editor won't open in snap-in.
- Networking icons no longer appear (b/band access working).
- TCP/IP Simple no longer in Win components.
- Search function not working.
- Dependencies tab in Services snap-in won't display (W32 error).
- etc.

So despite the possibilities of adventures requiring a rollback and taking the fixes one by one, the vast majority of people who don't routinely muck with settings should go smoothly. And for those who haven't already installed XP SP2, now is the time! No turning back. This situation is extremely serious and while "zero hour" hasn't happened yet, it WILL before the day is out or possibly even before this report is distributed. [/quote]

Some of the side effects reported from Tuesday's patches include

In addition, one of our associates reported the following on his "heavily adjusted XP box" ...

- etc.

So despite the possibilities of adventures requiring a rollback and taking the fixes one by one, the vast majority of people who don't routinely muck with settings should go smoothly. And for those who haven't already installed XP SP2, now is the time! No turning back. This situation is extremely serious and while "zero hour" hasn't happened yet, it WILL before the day is out or possibly even before this report is distributed. [/quote]

Some of the side effects reported from Tuesday's patches include

- etc.

So despite the possibilities of adventures requiring a rollback and taking the fixes one by one, the vast majority of people who don't routinely muck with settings should go smoothly. And for those who haven't already installed XP SP2, now is the time! No turning back. This situation is extremely serious and while "zero hour" hasn't happened yet, it WILL before the day is out or possibly even before this report is distributed.[quote]

These patches have been rushed in but they are very unstable...the problems listed above are still to be added to....I just helped someone solve their problems with them (although the side effects were different for them, effecting their AciveX and System Restore)....after multiple steps that normally fix issues, finally a repair....then a redownloading of the updates solved the issue.

Big Smiles

HS