Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Hurdy

Hurdy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have read much information on this stop error but none has been able to help me. I have not installed any new hardware or software. I have norton Internet and Virus protection that i always update. yesterday my pages were loading slower than they should with the cable modem so i did a restart and thats when I get that stop error. I cannot do anthing with the virus software, or run chkdsk/f like microsoft wants because i cant get past the stop screen. I have run the diagnostics on the harddrive and it has passed. Dell replaced the hardrive in June and I am afraid that I may have the same problem. I also get the error "Diskette drive 0 seek failure when I try different set ups. Anybody have any suggestions? I am on my old emachines now as the Dell is currently worthless. Thanks in advance, Hurdy :tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
I assume that you have taken a look at this link before? http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324103

Hurdy

Hurdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes I have read that and been to Microsofts support sire a few times. I am beginning to think that i have a bbot sector virus. the supprot says to check for viruses o and to chkdsk but I am unable to do either one. How can i scan for virues when I cannot even boot the system?

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Can you get into Safe Mode?

Hurdy

Hurdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No safe mode does the same thing right to the stop message, the same with the "last known good config. - back to the stop screen.

Hurdy

Hurdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the help that I recieved on my original post of Stop Error 0X0000007B. I have tried some suggestions and wanted to posr more information to perhaps help me in solving the original problem. when I first power on the dell I get the message "Drive drive 0 Seek Error"
Srike F1 key to continue, F2 ket to setup.
I hit F1 and enter Start Windows Normally (Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config. does the same thing)
I get the stop error: 0X0000007B (0XF7C7B63C, 0xC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000).

When I get into setup I notice that in my Boot Sequence at #4 On Board or USB Cd-Rom drive is listed as: (not availiable). Please tell me that I do not have to replace my harddrive or that I have to fromat and reinstall on this hardrive. thanking everyone in advance, Hurdy

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

View the following link:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=122926

Let me know if that helps :tazz:

Big Smiles

HS

Hurdy

Hurdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the link but it was of no help to me. I cannot do anything that the support says to do as my computer will not boot. I cannot even re-install XP. In the F12 setup it says that my "onboard or usb cdrom is not available". I took the computer to work today and gave the tower to the computer guy. He is very good but also very slow, and very busy. He is going to install a floppy drive in the Dell ( I ordered it without one) and use a bootable floppy disc to try to reach the hardrive. he says that I have a boot drive sector virus. I will let everyone know if the floppy drive works. he thinks that he may be able to give a drop kick to drive 0 and get the computer to boot. Thanks again!

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that. You could refer him to the following utility...this may help him:

http://www.aptv38.ds...ME/Rescueme.htm

Big Smiles

HS

Hurdy

Hurdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there thank you for the link. Unfortunetly he just gave me the tower, the floppy drive , a bootable floppy disc, a ultimate boot cd, and had me try because he is too busy. I have had no luck. However, I did get the computer to recognize the floppy drive. I got to the screen : Windows 98 Startup (even though I have media center XP he said it doesnt matter?) . The three options: Start Window 98 Set Up from CDrom . 2: Start computer with cdrom support, and 3. start computer without cdrom support. None of the options are working. When I try to start the computer with cdrom support I get the meassage: No drives found aborting installation. Then it does a bus scan and says "device driver not found. No valid cdrom device drivers selected". I need to find out why the cdrom is not detected. In setup under the boot sequence it says that the onboard or usb cdrom is "not available" and I am unable to change that setting? He says to go to majorgeeks.com and download the ultimate boot on a floppy with the emachimes and try that floopy in the dell because of the dells refusal to recognize the cdrom. I am trying to find a floppy disc but have so far been unable. I may have to wait until tommorow. I will let everyone know then. When I do get the dell up and running I am going to be asking some questions of Norton on why I got a virus with in spite of their protection. Thanks again, Hurdy

Advertisements

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that. On the plus side...he gave you some very good tools. To help you further try and repair your machine via the Recovery Console....A full tutorial on what it is and how to use it can be found here:

http://www.kellys-ko.../win_xp_rec.htm

I hope that's of help to you.

Big Smiles

HS

Hurdy

Hurdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey there. I have been able to get the cdrom drive back. However, I am still not able to load my Windows XP Operating System. When I put the Operating System disc in the rom drive and try to boot from the cdrom the sytem starts to load. The drivers, the diagnostics, the kernals, etc. Then I get to the "Windows XP Professional Setup" screen. I select "To setup Windows XP now press ENTER". When I do nothing happens. When I press R for repair nothing happens and the same thing fro F3 to quit without installing XP. I have to turn the power button off to get out of the screen. On start up I get the meassage"Diskette Drive 0 seek Failure, press F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. I press F! and get the meassage "Error Loading Operating System" with the flashing cursor.
Does not anyone out there have any suggestions about this problem? Please dont refer me to any of the Microsft tech support fixes. None of them work because I am unable to even get the system to boot. I cant do the Recovery Console repair, a virus scan, nothing. Please help as I am at my wits end! :tazz:

Hurdy

Hurdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey there. I have been able to get the cdrom drive back. However, I am still not able to load my Windows XP Operating System. When I put the Operating System disc in the rom drive and try to boot from the cdrom the sytem starts to load. The drivers, the diagnostics, the kernals, etc. Then I get to the "Windows XP Professional Setup" screen. I select "To setup Windows XP now press ENTER". When I do nothing happens. When I press R for repair nothing happens and the same thing fro F3 to quit without installing XP. I have to turn the power button off to get out of the screen. On start up I get the meassage"Diskette Drive 0 seek Failure, press F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. I press F! and get the meassage "Error Loading Operating System" with the flashing cursor.
Does not anyone out there have any suggestions about this problem? Please dont refer me to any of the Microsft tech support fixes. None of them work because I am unable to even get the system to boot. I cant do the Recovery Console repair, a virus scan, nothing. Please help as I am at my wits end! :tazz:

Hurdy

Hurdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry about that double post. I got the "page cannot be displayed" meassage on the first one.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi Hurdy

You problem can't be fixed here by us. You have a hard drive issue. Your computer is haveing troble detecting it, this could be for a number of reasons such as hardware failure or a boot sector virus. My advice would be to go to a computer repaire shop and get them to fix it. I hate asking people to do that but I am afraid that, that is all I can do, sorry.