Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Hurdy

Hurdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the advice. Tiger Direct has my same 160G hardrive on closeout for $49. Do you think that I should just remove and replace and reinstall XP Media Center? Any of the problems that I have will be removed with that hardrive correct, i.e. a hardrive failure, or a boot sector virus? This is the second time that I have had a hardrive failure on this Dell. They replaced one in June under warrenty. Is there something else that I should be looking at? Once again, thanks for your help this is a great site! :tazz:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Doing that would rule a lot out. There could be other things causeing the problem like the cables to the hard drive.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Thanks for the advice. Tiger Direct has my same 160G hardrive on closeout for $49. Do you think that I should just remove and replace and reinstall XP Media Center? Any of the problems that I have will be removed with that hardrive correct, i.e. a hardrive failure, or a boot sector virus? This is the second time that I have had a hardrive failure on this Dell. They replaced one in June under warrenty. Is there something else that I should be looking at? Once again, thanks for your help this is a great site! :tazz:

Yes, get a new hard drive as Michael Buckley suggested. And yes a new hard drive will get rid of your problem of the hard drive failure and boot sector viruses since both pertain to the hard drive in question and as such replacing such hard drive will fix the problem.

Fenor

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

It is regrettable but indeed sometimes options do run out.

However, if when taking it in to the shop the tech is unable to recover the HD...there is a little free utility that you could give to him to use to recover your data....it often works:

A utility that boots your computer from diskette and can access your file structure so you can recover files from XP systems that fail to respond. Read the instruction file that comes with it carefully. It is 'Free' here:

http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

I hope that helps and I wish you luck.

Big Smiles

HS