Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wininet.dll errors

• Please log in to reply

mattd53

mattd53

• Pip
  • 7 posts
when ever i start up my computer it says wininet.dll cannot be found. reinstalling this may fix the problem. i went to my AVG and noticed it had a file in the virus vault labeled wininet.dll so i restored it. but now when i try to open the same programs that didnt work before it says program failed to start click ok to termiante this program. i tried doing a lot of these things on the site such as downloading a new wininet.dll and other stuff but it just doesnt work. i dont now much about computers so if someone could help me i would really appreciate it. again thank you very much.

Advertisements

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

Let's try this first...

Start > Run > copy and paste in:
sfc /scannow
Click 'OK'
You will need your XP/2000/ME disk. If you don't have it and instead only have a recovery CD, there is a work around. View the following link for a tutorial:

http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Let me know if that solves the problem :tazz:

Big Smiles

HS

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello can Welcome to Geeks To Go

There are viruses that infect this file, causing this error. Could you please go to the Malware Forum and read the instructions up the top expically the Click Here. Then post a log in the malware forum not here.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If Wininet is corrupted, you can't get on the net to run scans. Cut to the chase: http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/

Print out the instructions before you get started, if you can, and good luck.

Johanna

mattd53

mattd53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i was just wondering if there is any computer programs that you can buy or download that would fix this problem for me. thank you

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
mattd53,
Click on the link I posted above. It's not magic, but close.

Johanna

mattd53

mattd53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
johanna

i do download the program and follow they instructions but when i attempt to replace my wininet.dll using the icon in the folder it says that another copy of the wininet.dll could not be found on my computer.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
okay- am getting you better help. Hang tight.

Johanna

mattd53

mattd53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok thank you.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You could try to go

Start < run and type sfc /scannow this needs the Windows XP CD, will give a blue bar, and when the bar goes reboot. I don't think that this will work but, it will make the fix, that Johanna wanted you to do, work.

I still think the best advice was in my first post if you look up.

mattd53

mattd53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
michael

i do what u tell me by typing in sfc /scannow but then it says checking all files to make sure they are there and when it is done nothing happens and the problem is not fixed. any ideas?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It is still don't work,

Have a look at Post 3, best advice I can give.
Or
Post 4 it should work now.

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

It may be an idea to extract the required file directly from your CD...instructions on how to do so here:

http://service1.syma...001011114021106

and here:

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;129605

If you are unable to do so.....and sfc /scannow is not working, that indicates to me that whatever was on your system and caused this is still there and running so full malware scans would be advised.

Big Smiles

HS